Saturday, September 13, 2008

Jordan (Petra) Sept/Oct 2008 (Part 1) D-20


My dream of seeing Petra was fulfilled today. Rated as the latest Great Wonder of the World, Petra is a No 1 tourist attraction in Jordan. This 2,200 year Nabataean ancient site was rediscovered by a Swiss traveler in 1812.

I took a bus (5JD=Rm26.50) from Wahedat South Centre bus station and arrived in Wadi Musa around 11.30am, after passing the Ma'an town. The bus journey took 4 hours.

On arrival, I lugged my trolley bag to Valentine Inn (4JD=Rm21) located on a higher ground of the town, overseeing Petra. I paid JD21=Rm111 for a one day ticket to enter Petra. A 2 day ticket costs JD26JD=Rm138. From my hostel to Petra entrance, I had to walk downhill for 15 minutes. 

I collected a brochure of Petra at the Visitor's Centre which has a good write up on Petra including a map. As Petra is a huge place, I spent 5-6 hour and visited the major sites except the Monastery without realizing it. Petra was full of tourists and I believe Jordanian Government earned a lot of tourism revenue from it's daily gate collections.

As I entered the Siq, a narrow gorge, I was impressed with the natural beauty, colorful rocks, cliffs and the surrounding environment. Following the map, I passed the Obelisk Tomb & As-Siq Triclinium, As Siq, Al-Khazneh (Treasury), Street of Facade & the Theatre, The Royal Tombs, Colonnaded Street & Qasr al-Bint temple.

I was really tired after the Petra visit and had an early dinner in Wadi Musa town before returning to the hostel.














































































































No comments:

Post a Comment