Saturday, September 13, 2008

Turkey (Bodrum) Sept/Oct 2008 D-13


Bodrum is a coaster town in Southern Turkey and the reason for my visit was to see the site of the Mausoleum , the tomb of King Mausolus, known as one of the 7 Wonders of the World.


The Castle of the St Peter (rebuilt in 1522) is another popular place I visited. The castle was built using the stones from the Tomb of King Mausolus.

In front of the castle is the Museum of Underwater Underwater Archaeology and statutes of Herodotos ( Historian 425 BC), Artemisia & King Mausolus.

I spent my time visiting the cornice of this coastal seaside town, definitely a great place for yachting as I saw many sailing boats & yachts anchored at the harbor side.

There is little left on the site of Mausoleum except some broken columns. As the reception office was not manned at the time of my visit, I quickly too a few shots at the site to satisfy my curiosity of coming to Bodrum.

Despite the shortcoming, I enjoyed my time walking around the narrow streets of the town and also the sea breeze at the harbour. I saw tourists taking hydrofoils and boats to nearby islands such as Kos, Datca, Rhodes ( Greece).

1) The Castle of the St Peter (1522)



















2) The Mausoleum (tomb of the King Mausolus)




"My travel plan should include visits to Rhodes or overland visit to Athens. So near yet I missed this opportunity - the only regret I had on this trip"

No comments:

Post a Comment