Friday, September 12, 2008

Japan (Tokyo) April/May 2008 D-13


Travel Highlight – Tokyo (Tsukiji Fish Market, Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Bay& East Garden of the Imperial Palace)

Today I had to travel solo as both Hitomi and Artem had left for Narita airport yesterday night to catch their flight back to Kuala Lumpur at around 14.00 this afternoon. Not satisfied with my visit to Tsukiji fish market yesterday, I woke up early this morning and took a Metro Tokyo subway train to Tsukijishijo station. This time, I got it right and managed to locate the large fish wholesale complex. Inside the complex, there were 200-300 hundred fish wholesale stalls operating under one roof. Tsukiji Market is renowned as one of the world’s largest fish markets, handling over 2,000 tones of marine products per day. Many kinds of fresh fish, shellfish and other seafood can be seen displaying at the stalls. Small scooter trucks were seen hurrying around to transport the fish to freezer trucks parked outside of the complex ready for outstation deliveries. The whole atmosphere in the complex makes Tsukiji Market a popular tourist attraction. As I toured the complex, I took pictures on salmon roe, mud crabs , clams, cockles, oysters, octopus, scallops with shell, pomfret fish, live eels, chunks of sushi, live fish in water tanks etc.

As I arrived at the market around 07.30, the place was not that busy. I spotted the fish auction hall and saw a number of large blue fin tuna lying on the floor, each with a price tag sticked on to the fish body. I believed these tuna fish were waiting for collection by the successful bidder at any time. Some of the tuna fish were placed on to a polystyrene foam boxes and others were placed on to the wooden boxes.

A few wholesale stalls were equipped with electric chain saws. These tools were used to cut the hard frozen tuna fish into 2-3 portions. Others used a long chopping knife to cut the fish heads and body into half. It was quite fascinating for me to watch them in action from a distance. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to this place.

Before leaving, I had a quick breakfast and paid Y650 (RM21) for a bowl of basic ramen noodles at a food stall along the main road.









My next visit was Roppongi Hills. I took a Toei subway train from Tsukijishijo to Roppongi station. Roppongi Hills is a cultural complex consisting of two hundreds up market shops, ginko (banks), restaurants, cinema, an observatory and a Mori art museum. A large spider shape sculpture attracted my attention. Tokyo Tower can also be seen from this complex. This place is also home to many of the foreign embassies.

I bought two freshly baked walnut pastries from a bakery shop and a bottle of chilled Japanese green tea from a supermarket in Roppongi Hills before heading to Tokyo Bay.



To get to Tokyo Bay, I had to take a Toei subway train to Shiodome station. From this station, I had to take the Yurikamome Line to Odaiba station. On arrival, I walked towards the Aqua City Building & Fuji TV Headquarters, which has a globe shaped observatory. At the time of my visit to Aqua City, there was an exhibition on dinosaurs.

At the top floor of Aqua City, I had a good view of Tokyo Bay, Tokyo’s harbor, waterfront and the suspended Rainbow Bridge (918m long), which connects Odaiba and Shibaura. Beside the Aqua City, I took a picture of a statue of Liberty & Rainbow Bridge. I ended my visit by taking a stroll at the Odaiba Marine Park. The white sandy beach at
the Marine Park is an attraction to many families and children and also an ideal place for picnicking.



After the Tokyo Bay visit, I took a JR train from Shimbashi to Tokyo station and then walked to the East Garden (Higashi Gyoen) of the Imperial Palace (formerly Edo Castle). I spent around two hours in the East Garden, an ideal place for relaxation. I walked pass the Hyakunin - Banho guardhouse & the Tenshudai Donjon base , which was built in 1638. I left the East Garden around 17.00.




I arrived in my hostel in Asakusa at around 18.00. A new roommate from Canada checked in to my room. After taking my bath, both of us walked to Nakamise Dori (street) and had our dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I paid Y530 (RM17) for a bowl of rice topped with cooked pork. At Nakamise Dori, I bought a pack of crunchy snacks for Y570 (RM18) from a nearby souvenir food store.

Before going to sleep, I started packing my luggage, fu uku(clothing) and mono (other items), as ashita (tomorrow) will be my last day in Tokyo!

Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat broccoli, almonds & walnuts! What else? Fresh seafood aplenty in Japan!


No comments:

Post a Comment