Saturday, September 13, 2008

Turkey (Selcuk & Ephesus) Sept/Oct 2008 D-12



I bought a tourist bus ticket 40TRL=Rm114 from the hostel to Selcuk. On the way, the bus stopped at a carpet factory and also visited Bergama. I stayed over night at ANZ GH, Selcuk (17.5TRL=Rm50) inclusive of breakfast.

My next top priority places of interest was to visit Ephesus & Temple of Artemis , Selcuk. Early in the morning, I chose to walk to both places. I started from the town center and walked towards the nearby Temple of Artemis (one of the ancient 7 Wonders of the World) . Only one standing column left at the site plus some broken column pieces for tourists to see and appreciate. I continued my walk to Ephesus, 3km from the town. I paid 20TRL=Rm57 for entering the Ephesus site, which was full of tourists on that day. Guided by the various signboards, I took my time to visit this magnificent Roman ruins, which housed a theatre, Temple of Hadrian, Celsus Library, Marble Way, Fountain of Trajan etc. The big theatre has a seating capacity of 24,000 people !

Though Athens has magnificent Roman ruins, Ephesus too has a glorious past, been Rome's capital in Asia once upon a time.

I left Selcuk in the afternoon and my next stop is Bodrum, a southern seaside town.

1) Great Theatre, Ephesus












 





2) Temple of Hadrian, Celsus Library, Marble Way, Ephesus



















































3) Temple of Artemis, Selcuk







" After seeing the Basilica Cistern, Hippodrome, Troy & Ephesus in Turkey, I will continue to pursue my dream to see the Roman ruins in Athens & Rome - Greece has Acropolis and Partenon; Italy as Colossuem & Pompeii, these are the Great Wonders of the World"

No comments:

Post a Comment