Saturday, September 13, 2008

Egypt (Cairo) Sept/Oct 2008 D-22


The bus ride from Nuweiba to Cairo took 7 hours. I arrived in Cairo at around 4.00am. From the bus terminal, we took a bus to another bus station located not far from the Cairo Train station. I had no luck trying to check into African House as the hostel was fully booked on that day. I then took a taxi (10EP=Rm6.80) to the Egyptian Museum area as it was close to Brothers Hostel in Tallaat Harb Street. After asking several people, I managed to locate the hostel. The hostel manager was kind enough to reserve a bed for me but I could only check in at 12.30pm. I took the opportunity to take a hot shower and leave my luggage at the front reception. At around 7.301m, I walked to the Egyptian Museum area but had to wait till 8.30am for the Museum to open. I saw the majestic Nile River in central Cairo, the Cairo Tower and locals scrambling to take micro buses to work, packed like a can of sardines !

I paid 80EP=Rm55 to enter the Egyptian Museum, which houses some 250,000 artefacts and antique pieces including mummies, sarcophagus and treasures of King Tut Ankh Amun. Within a hour, the Museum was packed with tourists and tour guides. I spent around 3 hours in the Museum and feeling tired, I decided to walk back to the hostel (45EP=Rm31). As I did not have a good sleep last night, I took a nap in the hostel for the whole of the afternoon.

Tallaat Harb Street is in old Cairo, a busy shopping area. At night, the place was full of people and it was very convenient to travelers as you could easily find food in this area.








"Nile River, Old Cairo, Egyptian Museum, Citadel, Bazaar .... plenty to see and feel in this 1,000 year old city"


















No comments:

Post a Comment