Saturday, September 13, 2008

Egypt (Cairo) Sept/Oct 2008 D-29


On arrival in Cairo, I took a Metro train and checked into Lialy Hostel (LE30=Rm20), near Tala'at Harb street. After resting for a while and a cool shower, I took a Metro train and spent my time exploring the Old Cairo area. I visited a number of old and antique churches ie Abu Serga church (400AD), Greek Orthodox St Sargius, Virgin Mary, St Barbara (500AD), El Gauhar Tomb, Nunnery of Saint George. These churches have historic significance and with unique architecture !

After the Old Cairo visit, I went to see the Islamic side of Cairo. I walked for an hour to the Citadel of "Saladin", built in 1183. As the Citadel is located at the hill top, the view from the top on Cairo was superb. The Mohamad Ali Alabaster mosque looked great from far









"Old Cairo, Citadel of Saladin, Mohamed Ali Alabaster Mosque, Coptic museum & antique churches - representing the magnificent past "








No comments:

Post a Comment