Saturday, September 13, 2008

Turkey (Cappadocia) Sept/Oct 2008 D-6


I woke up very early in the morning (6.00am), the sky was already bright. As breakfast could only be served at 8.30am, I decided to take a stroll around Goreme , walking on the road towards the Open Air Museum area. On the way, I saw a number of hot air balloons flying leisurely above the Open Air Museum. There, I had a fantastic view of the various eerie rock formation , different shapes & sizes - what an amazing sight !

After a two hour walk, I went back to the hostel to have my breakfast. This hostel served a very generous continental breakfast & apple tea.- inclusive in the room price ! This was one of the best value pension I had stayed in Turkey. At 12.00pm, I took a local bus (1.75TRL=Rm5.00) from the Goreme bus station to a nearby town and then took another bus (2.0TRL=Rm5.70) to Kaymaski underground city, a thousand year old heritage site. I had to bend my head and manoeuvred my way to a number of caves inside this underground city. Amazing to know how life was in those days !

Earlier on, I had booked a 2 1/2hr tour (12.50TRL=Rm35.60) for a trekking to the Rose Valley from my hostel. The tour was to start at 4.30pm but due to the rain, the tour was subsequently cancelled. The rain had spoiled my evening. As the temperature dropped to 10c, I felt the cold and put on extra clothing. I had a quick dinner in the town and spent the rest of the time in the hostel room.


Kaymakli Underground Town




"Turkish breakfast & apple tea were great ! Butter, cheese & honey thrown in - a real Turkish Delight"

No comments:

Post a Comment