Saturday, September 13, 2008

Turkey (Troy) Sept/Oct 2008 D-11


I departed Istanbul in the morning for Troy.

The bus ride (40TRL=Rm114) from Istanbul Otogar to Eceabat took 6 hours plus another 1/2 hour of car ferry crossing the strait from Eceabat to Canakkale. On arrival, I left my luggage at the ANZ Guest house (15TRY=Rm43) and took a micro bus (4TRY=Rm11) at the bridge to the Tevfikiye village to visit Troy and paid (15TRY=Rm43) to enter the site.

As I visited the site, the tale of the "Trojan Horse" & "Trojan War" jogged my mind as I had seen some old movies about Troy when I was a school boy in the 50's. There is little left to see in Troy except a few artefacts, a small museum & a tall wooden made Trojan horse now stands at the site, a great spot to take pictures.

At the time of my visit, there were 5-6 bus loads of Asian & European tourists and I was probably the only independent traveler at the site.

I missed the last bus from the Tevfikiye Village (6.00pm) but managed to get a ride from a hostel's van (paid 4TRL) with 3 hostel's staff heading home towards the town center. It was a lucky day for me, or else I had to camp in Troy for a night !





















"I was thoroughly intrigued to see the site of Troy - no matter how glorious the past, the place is now in ruins , in bits & pieces and leaving behind a fairy tale of a love and hate story of Helen & Troy for us to ponder"

No comments:

Post a Comment