Saturday, September 13, 2008

Jordan (Jerash) Sept/Oct 2008 D-18


This was my second time in Jordan after my return visit from Turkey & Syria. After a good rest last night , my next few days were focused on visiting 3 major places of interest which come under the "Wonders" category ie Jerash, Dead Sea & Petra. This morning, I took a bus (1/2 JD) from Trababour station to Jerash, about 1 1/4 hr from Amman. Jerash is a well preserved Roman city and I spent 3 hours to see the place. I paid 8JD=Rm61 for the entrance fee. On arrival, there were 8-10 bus loads of tourists so indeed Jersah is a major attraction in Jordan.

I started my visit to the Hadrian's Arch and then the Hippodrome, which hosted chariot races (2 performances daily) . Next , I passed the oval plaza ( Forum) , the Temple of Zeus, South theatre (seating capacity of 5,000 people) , colonnaded street, Nymphaeum (main fountain), Temple of Artermis and a small museum with a good collection of artefacts.





























 

 






































































"In Rome, do as what Romans do. In Jerash, let your eye balls roam at this magnificent site. This was, once upon a time, a very prosperous city ever built by the Romans in the Middle East"

No comments:

Post a Comment