Saturday, September 13, 2008

Jordan (Dead Sea & Madaba) Sept/Oct 2008 D-19


Last year in July 07, eight travelers including myself hired a jeep from Leh, Ladakh ( Northern India) to the world's 3rd highest motorable pass, Changla Pass in Himalayas. The highest point we reached was 5,700m (17,800ft above sea level). Today, I visited Dead Sea, which is at the lowest point of the earth (400m below sea level). How not to get low altitude sickness !

From Amman to Dead Sea, I took a bus (1JOD=Rm5.30) and arrived at Suweimah Village junction, a 55 mins bus ride. From there, I took a mini bus (2JOD=Rm10.60) to Dead Sea, 5km away. The bus dropped me off at Amman Beach. - a private owned property with shower facility. I took a short walk to a public beach next to Amman Beach and saw a few local guys having their swims. So I joined the put on my swim wear and took a dip into the Dead Sea. Due to the high salinity of the water (very salty) my body floated quite easily. A big difference comparing to swimming in a normal beach. After a 20 mins swim, I had a wash out on my body with 2 bottles of cold water which I bought along from my hostel.

Due to a lack of public transport near the Amman Beach area, I had to resort to hitch hiking. After walking for 20 mins, I got a lift from a private car to Suweimah village. I offered some money to the driver but he declined to accept it.

From the village junction, I took a bus to Madaba, a town well known for its Byzamine era mosaic, I paid 1JOD to enter a 19th century Greek Orthodox St George Church , which is famous for its floor mosaic map marked with all the biblical sites from Lebanon to Egypt. The mosaic dated back to AD500 and was discovered in 1864 !

After spending 2 hours in Madaba, I took a bus (1JOD) back to Amman.

1) Madaba, Jordan 













2) Dead Sea, Jordan









"I came to Egypt & Jordan to see Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea & Dead Sea. You get a great great feeling swimming in the Dead Sea - a real natural wonder"

No comments:

Post a Comment