Saturday, September 13, 2008

Syria (Damascus) Sept/Oct (2008) D-16


After an overnight bus ride, I arrived at the Antakya bus terminal in the early morning.

At the terminal, I was approached by a local guy who directed me to a bus which was soon to depart Antakya to Aleppo, Syria. This guy asked for my passport and a payment of 15TRL=Rm42.70 to buy a bus ticket. I found out later that the bus ticket actually cost 10TRY, so in a hurry, I got cheated of 5TRL as I could have bought the ticket myself direct from the bus counter. A 5TRL lesson for me to learn for making a hasty decision in getting a stranger to buy a bus ticket at the terminal.

Bye, bye Turkey !! For the last 10-11 days and after travelling more than half of Turkey, which took me to Cappadocia, Istanbul, Canakkale, Selcuk & Ephesus, Bodrum and Pamukkale, I must confess that I enjoyed my time in Turkey, having seen all the places of interest which I had identified prior to the trip.

The only place I missed is Mt Nemrut, where the fallen heads of the gigantic decorative statutes of gods and kings, dated back 2,000 years ago. A must see attraction in Eastern Turkey.

There was a massive traffic jam when our bus was crossing the Turkish / Syrian border. It was closed to 3.00pm when I arrived at Aleppo. I then took a taxi (150SP=Rm11.40) to a bus terminal to continue my bus journey to Damascus. I arrived Damascus around 8.00pm and checked into Al-Rabie hostel for a night stay at the roof top (250SP=Rm16.70) as all the dorms were fully taken up.







"Turkey has 5 civilized and 1 natural wonders of the world and I had visited 5 of them ! I left behind my footpaths in Cappadocia, Troy, Hagia Sophia, Temple of Artemis & Mausoleum of King Mausoluem ..... hope to see Mt Memrut one fine day .... "

No comments:

Post a Comment