Friday, October 11, 2019

India (Kolkata, West Bengal) Sept/Oct 2019 (Final Day) Part 6

Park Street Metro Station, Kolkata


Day 31 Thursday 10/10/2019 Kolkata (Final Day) 

1) Inside the Park Street Station, I saw a tourist-friendly Metro map with pictures of major tourist attractions giving the names of the closest Metro stations for tourists to visit in Kolkata. This was a great help to me as in my final day in Kolkata, I had 4-5 hours of spare time hopefuly to visit a few more tourist attraction places before returning to hostel to get ready for my transport arrangements from Park Street to Kolkata Airport. The names of 8 tourist sites highlighted in the Metro station for ease of travelling by Metro rides are: 


2) Of the 8 touristy places highlighted by the Metro station, our group had visited 4 of them during our first 2 days in Kolkata ie Victoria Memorial, St Paul's Cathedral, Sahid Minar, & High Court. So my focus and based on the spare hours I had, I was able to visit 3 of them ie Mahajati Sadam, Kali Temple & Marble Palace. I forgo my visit to Jain Temple & Jorasanko Thakurbari due to time constraints. 

1) Mahajati Sadan, M.G. Road, Kolkata - an auditorium located in Chittarajan Avenue, Kolkata, this auditorium is regularly used for Bengali theatres & seminars in seminar hall. The auditorium is an important part of India's freedom movement.


2) Kali Temple, Kalighat, Kolkata - took a Metro to Kalighat station & walk for 1km via side lanes to this temple - a Hindu temple dedicated to the Hindu goddess Kali. One of the 51 Shakti Peethas. Kalighat was a Ghat sacred to Kali on the old course of the Hooghly river in the city of Kolkata. 


3) Marble Palace - due to flooding at the front gate, I was unable to enter the Marble Palace but took a few pictures from the outside of the side gates for rememberance ! I had also took pictures of flooding in side lanes leading to the Marble Palace ! Marble Palace is a palatial 19th century mansion in North Kolkata; one of the best preserved & most elegant houses of 19th century; famous for its marble walls, floors & sculptures ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment