Sunday, September 16, 2007

India (New Delhi) July 2007 D-21


The night train from Kalka arrived in the New Delhi train station in the early morning. I took a auto-rickshaw and due to communication issue, the driver took me to a travel agency not far from the train station. As I was keen to visit Agra ( Taj Mahal) and Jaipur , the travel agent recommended I joined a day tour for these two places. After much haggling, I agreed and paid a deposit of Rs750=Rm67 for a 2 day tour package of Rs750 per day. I found out later that local tourists probably paid Rs500 for the tour price.

After that, the rickshaw driver took me to a hostel in Pahar Ganj (Rs300=Rm27) and I stayed on for three more nights in New Delhi.

Some pictures taken at the New Delhi railway station.






After my hostel check in, I walked to the Connaught Place and Central Park area. This is the commercial business district where banks, offices, restaurants and up market hotels operate. The place is well maintained and much cleaner than Pahar Ganj area. The Central Park has a garden and a great place to relax. The only nuisance walking around this place was the unsolicited help from local teenagers trying to follow and be friendly with you wherever you go. Each time I got rid of one, another would show up from another street expecting money or tips from you for whatever advice they gave you.

1) The Central Park, Hindu temples & Jantar Mantar (observatory house) in Connaught Place:









2) The busy streets of Pahar Ganj, near the Indian Railway station






" I survived my last 20 days in Northern India - now back to New Delhi to hone my survival skill again - dodging dodgy characters, crossing chaotic streets, passing back lanes, avoiding land mines (cow dung) ......"

No comments:

Post a Comment