Sunday, September 16, 2007

India (Simla, Himachai Pradesh) July 2007 D-20

I had 3/4 day in Shimla for today so I focused my visit on the busy Lakkar & Middle bazzar market, which sells a wide range of basic household wares, souvenirs. Also I visited the Jakhu Temple, dedicated to the Monkey God and the surrounding places in Shimla.

In the morning, I bought a train ticket (Rs400=Rm36) from Shimla to Kalka and then to New Delhi, departing around 5.40pm. This traditional "toy" train moved at a slow speed and tourists enjoyed this slow train ride to admire the green scenery along the way. From Kalka, I had to take another connecting train departing around 11.45pm to New Delhi.

1) The longest bazaar market I had ever visited in Northern India - hundreds of shops on both sides of the narrow street selling all sort of merchandises from metal, plastics & China wares, incense, shawls, clothing, household items etc. It took an hour for me to walk through the bazaar starting from one end to another.







2) Jakhu Temple is located up the hill , it was quite strenuous for me to walk up this stretch of road as the steps were steep. I had to keep a watch out on monkeys and stray dogs as these animals posed a nuisance to visitors.

A notice board erected at the foot of the hill caught my attention. It was about testing your physical fitness strength walking up the temple within a set time for various age group. As I came under the 50-70 age group and this means if I would walk up to the temple in less than 55 mins , I am considered to be "absolutely fit". Guessed what, I took around 50mins to reach the top. Although I passed the test, the climb to the top was indeed not easy.

While walking around the temple. a monkey came behind my back and snatched my spectacle away. Luckily I bought a few bananas with me and with the help of a guard, I placed a banana on a floor, not far from where the monkey was sitting. The monkey then took the banana away and left my spectacle on the floor. What a relief ! I got back my spectacle.






3) An old mosque in the bazaar market; school children posing for picture in front of a primary school; statutes of a patriot and Gandhi in Scandal Point & the Ridge; recreation horses for hire; a up-market Indian Cafe House; an English wine & beer shop; Flora Hostel, Shimla Fire Brigade &amp, Police Station.











Toy Train from Shimla > Kalka



" Porters, monkeys, pony rides, toy trains, hanging clock, old colonial buildings, longest bazzar, houses on hill slope, Scandal Point , The Ridge, Christ Church - I had a jolly great time in Shimla "

No comments:

Post a Comment