Sunday, September 16, 2007

India (New Delhi) July 2007 D-1

The busy Chuna Mandi, Pahar Ganj - downtown New Delhi

After a 6 1/2 hour flight (transit in Bangkok) , I arrived at the Indira Gandhi airport, New Delhi at around 4.00pm. After passing the custom protocol, I bought a taxi voucher ( Rs260=Rm23) from the Delhi Traffic Police prepaid taxi booth, located on the right hand side of the International terminal entrance for a drive to my hostel located in Chuna Mandi, Pahar Ganj in downtown New Delhi (25km from the airport). I felt a sense of security after buying the taxi voucher as all overseas visitors taking the airport taxis were required to provide their passport details and the taxis number plate to the airport traffic police authorities prior to leaving the airport.

A favourite place for budget travellers

I stayed in Venus International hostel (Rs250=Rm22.50 per room) for the first night, which was booked by my HC member from New Delhi. The journey took more than an hour as the taxi driver had difficulties in finding the hostel.

Stray cows, trishaws, mobile vendors, dusty roads


Pahar Ganj is a favorite haunt for backpackers as the place is dotted with many budget hostels. To me, this was an interesting place to stay as I could see and feel the hustle and bustle of an urban slum area right from the morning to evening for the next few days. Stray cows, dodgy characters, bone shaker taxis, old vintage cars, cycle rickshaws, bicycles, scooters, old buses & local residents & school kids filled up the congested roads, most with potholes and littered with cow dungs. In July, the weather in New Delhi was hot and stuffy , with temperature hovering over 40C. So it can be very challenging, walking during the day as your body will be very sticky with sweats running from your head to toes.

Morning activities in Pahar Ganj
A trishaw driver displaying his skills in transporting a basket of goods

At 6.30pm, I met up with my two HC members from Italy (Valerious) and Spain (Antonio) at the hostel reception. After an hour of chatting and getting to know each other, three of us decided to explore Pahar Ganz by night.

As we strolled along the area, I saw poverty, dirty toilets, dim street lights, homeless kids, beggars, smelly surrounding etc. But I was not complaining ..... despite all the shortcomings, it was an eye opener for me in this fascinating New Delhi !

My 1st day in Pahar Ganj - an eye opener for a first timer to India

So far so good for my first day in New Delhi ! The excitement had yet to begin after I meet all the other HC members from USA, India, Germany, Finland & Vietnam in the next few days for our joint visit to Kashmir & Leh/Ladakh. A total of nine HC members had chosen to come to Northern India for the Himalaya visit.

"Ancient history, vibrant culture, scenic Himalayas - awaiting you as soon as you land in New Delhi "

No comments:

Post a Comment