Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Europe April /June 2010


" Our unpleasant past retards our thinking power, make us weary, drains our energy, suppresses our happiness and make us dull & withdrawn. Let go & move on " 

" Body aches are there to remind you of your age " 

" You can't change the Past, but you can ruin the Present by worrying over the Future "                                                                                                                                                    

" My 40 days solo visit to Europe (London, Luxembourg, Berlin, Copenhagen, Krakow, Bratislava, Vienna, Bucharest, Sofia, Athens & Rome) - My 2nd visit to major capital cities of Europe (26/4-4/6/2010); another challenging & a wonderful trip amidst a volcanic ash eruptions in Iceland crippling air travels in Europe and a financial meltdown in Greece.

After my first visit to Europe & Russia in May 2009, I vowed that I shall return to see more of the Europe in 2010. So I started planning in early 2010 ....

Now That I had taken the journey, I am pleased to share with you my 40 travel days experience in Europe

Volcanic ash eruptions in Iceland, debt crisis and violent demonstrations in Athens, Greece, unusually cold weather in Denmark, presidential plane crash in Poland - these recent adverse news had created a discomfort of feeling to me but had not deterred my spirit from going ahead with my 2nd visit to Europe (26 April - 4 June 2010) to continue my quest in seeing the Great Wonders of the World and major UNESCO sites in Europe. Once again, my mental, physical & spiritual strength was put under a severe test.

For this trip, I targeted the following countries: Luxembourg, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Austria, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece & Italy. The focus of my visit was mainly on the capital cities of these countries and I relied on a 30 day Eurolines bus pass (300 pound), local trains & long distance buses to get to the destinations. Unfortunately, I was not able to visit Vilnius of Lithuania, Tirana of Albania and Warsaw of Poland as originally planned. Guided by the matrix of M + B + F = C (Motivation + Belief + Focus = Consequence) and coupled with an ambitious mind, I believe a desired outcome can be achieved in all our travels. The end result is that you will be rewarded and abled to see more of the Great Wonders of the World and UNESCO sites.

As for the major UNESCO sites I yearned to see, Acropolis (Athens), Colosseum & Vatican City (Rome), Stonehenge (Salisbury.UK), the Palace of Schonbrunn (Austria), Palaces of Potsdam (Berlin) & Auschwitz Concentration Camp (Poland) were the target places; but I skipped Venice, Pisa & Pompeii (Italy) due to time constraints.

The only set back for this trip was that my Samsonite day pack was mysteriously stolen at a train station in Brussels, Belgium and missing along with it were items like raincoat, umbrella, water tumbler, a woolen long sleeve shirt and my travel info on hostel bookings, maps and direction etc. This happened on the 1st week of my travel, making it quite stressful for me to continue my journey but I was determined to proceed with the journey as all my important documents eg passport, air ticket, Eurolines pass and monies were intact.

I lost a kilo of my body weight after the trip (11 overnight bus/train trips) but had acquired more travel experience and confidence in travelling to this part of the world.

Once again, I had taken the liberty to quote some words of wisdoms expressed by noble statesmen and Wiseman on the principles and secrets of life in my travel blog. Please enjoy reading and feel free to leave any comments.

Travel itinerary:

Kuala Lumpur > London > Brussels > Luxembourg > Brussels > Berlin 
> Copenhagen >Krakow > Bratislava > Vienna > Bucharest > Sofia > Athens > Bucharest > Vienna > Rome > London > Kuala Lumpur                                        
Total expenses incurred in Europe (40 days) : RM7,900  (Euro$1,680)                                        
Cost breakdowns:
Hostels (27 nights) - 87 Pound + Euro$286
Hostel on-line booking fees (Euro$1.50 per booking) - Euro$30
Luggage storage fee - 4 pound
Eurolines 30 day Pass + admin fee - 304 pound + Euro$25
London / Stansted airport shuttle bus (return) - 14 pound
Train tickets:
Brussels>Luxembourg>Brussels - Euro$41.60
Krakow>Brastilava - Euro$40
Bucharest>Sofia - Euro$30
Long distance bus tickets:
Sofia>Athens>Sofia - Euro$80
Sofia>Bucharest - Euro$26
London>Stonehenge>London - 8.85 pound
Metro/Trolley bus/Trams - 27 pound + Euro$63
Entrance fee:
Stonehenge (day tour inclusive of entrance fee of 6.50p) - 15 pound
Colossuem - Euro$12
Acropolis - Euro$12
Acropolis Museum - Euro$5
Schonbrunn Palace - Euro$12.90
Potsdam Palace - Euro$6
Auschwitz Concentration Camp - Euro$10
Food & groceries (mainly own prepared meals in hostels) - 50 pound + Euro$110
Miscellaneous (internet,umbrellas etc): Euro$20
Lonely Planet (Discover Europe) - 12.80 pound
Air Asia KL>London return economy ticket + meals - RM1,686
Travel insurance - RM200
Exchange Rate : US$1 = RM4.70; Euro$1 = RM5.00

Travel Highlights:

1) Stonehenge (Salisbury,UK)


2) Acropolis, ( Athens, Greece )


3) Colosseum, ( Rome, Italy )


4) The Palaces and Gardens of Schonbrunm, (Vienna, Austria )


5) The Palaces  & Parks of Potsdam (Berlin, Germany )


6) Copenhagen, Denmark


7) Luxembourg City ( Luxembourg )


8) Auschwitz Concentration Camp (Krakow, Poland )


9) Bratislava, Slovakia


10) Bucharest, Romania


11) Sofia, Bulgaria


The Secrets of Life: "Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter "

No comments:

Post a Comment