Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Europe (Copenhagen, Denmark) April/June 2010 D-9-D10


From Berlin, I took a Eurolines bus to Copenhagen. I arrived in Copenhagen at around 11.00pm and on arrival I took a Metro (Euro$2) from the Central Station to Norreport station where my hostel, Hotel Jorgensen is located ( DKK135=Euro$19 dorm + bed linen DKK30=Euro$4). This was the only hostel in Europe which imposed a charge for the use of bed linen.

I had two solid days in Copenhagen and this enabled me to visit most of the tourist sites in Copenhagen city. I am glad that I had included Copenhagen in my travel plan. My first visit to a Scandinavian country. I hope to visit Norway, Sweden & Finland in the near future. Not only I enjoyed the ferry ride from Rostock, Germany to Copenhagen passing through the Baltic Sea, I also had a good time wondering around the historical city center of Copenhagen, met a few cool Danes for chat at the hostel and experiencing a colder weather as low as 4c on arrival and a bitter cold sea breeze from the Baltic Sea while I was taking a few pictures on the setting sun from an upper deck.

Expenses incurred in Copenhagen, Denmark (2 days):
Hostel ( free breakfast) - Euro$19 + $4 (bed linen) = Euro$23
Internet service (1hr)- Euro$2
Metro - Euro$2
Food & groceries - Euro$16
Total expenses - Euro$43
Exchange rate: Euro$1 = DKK7

1) City Hall Square - an important landmark in the city center


2) Tivoli Amusement Park - near the Central Station where the Eurolines bus terminal is located

3) Changing of palace guards


4) Copenhagen's historical center - Statues, Monuments; each has a history behind

5) An old Church in Copenhagen city


6) Nyhavn, the old port with its quaint old houses. Restaurants and bars are plentiful here


7) Ferry crossing (2hr) from Rostock, Germany to Copenhagen, Denmark - scenic coastline, comfortable ferry ride. shopping in duty free shop, steaks & Norwegian seafood - I thoroughly enjoyed this ferry ride !




8) Sakura cherry blossom in Copenhagen, Denmark - I am impressed, an ideal place to throw a Japanese or Danish style Sakura party in the garden of Langelinie Alle



9) Crossing the Langebro & Knippelsbro Bridge - Copenhagen's most colorful residential areas with old houses and modern up-market apartments along the canals


10) The Little Mermaid - Where has the famous Little Mermaid gone ? Missing in action ! I know the Mermaid is now in Expo Shanghai 2010 ! But I was not disappointed although I visited the site as I will be in China in Sept 2010 to take a picture of this cute Little Mermaid - see you soon ! Anyway, I had taken these two pictures for remembrance.

11) Gefion Fountain - Awesome !



" Denmark, the smallest Scandinavian country; surrounded by water, North & Baltic seas. The Vikings, The cool Danes, The Little Mermaid, The Legoland, Carlsberg beer - the little knowledge I had on this country. But I made a point to visit Copenhagen, a lively, charming and walkable city; the ferry crossing, the scenic coastline and the cold & wet weather made my visit to Denmark a memorable one.

The Secrets of Life - In a day, when you don't come across any problems, you can be sure that you are travelling in a wrong path "

No comments:

Post a Comment