Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Europe (Sofia, Bulgaria) April/June 2010 D-19-D20


My next journey from Bucharest to Sofia, Bulgaria was by train (Eur0$30). My Eurolines pass was not eligible for this leg of travel. The day train arrived in Sofia around 10.00pm. On the train, I met a few Bulgarian backpackers and on arrival, I hitched a taxi ride with a Bulgarian guy to my hostel, Mostel Hostel (E$10 dorm) and stayed for a night before heading to Athens, Greece. I enjoyed a free pasta meal provided by the hostel on this particular day of the week !

As I had only a full day in Sofia, I woke up fairly early in the morning and went for a morning walk to a few tourist sites around the city. At around 9.00am I walked back to my hostel and joined the rest of the hotel guests for a complimentary continental breakfast.

After the breakfast, I checked out and left my luggages in the hostel. I took my time to visit a few more tourist sites and also bought my bus ticket to Athens and my return tickets from Athens to Sofia (Euro$81 return) and Bucharest (Euro$25).

Expenses incurred in Sofia, Bulgaria (2 days)

Hostel = Euro$10 (dorm)
Bus tickets (Sofia>Athens return, Sofia>Bucharest) - Euro$81 + Euro$25
Food Expenses - Euro$8
Exchange rate: Euro$1=2 Lei
Total Expenses = Euro$124

1) Bulgaria country side - our bus from Romania heading towards Bulgaria passing through a mountain resort town, Brasov









2) Sofia Train & Bus Station - the interior of the train station looked gloomy and needs a new coat of paint !!




3) Stone monuments & statues - standing tall in the City Centre of Sofia



4) Old Churches & Buildings




5) Alexander Nevski Cathedral


6) The Church of St George - dating back to 4th century


" Bulgaria has come a long way in history since the Ottoman & Russian communist rules. It became a People's Republic in 1946. Sofia, the capital city of Bulgaria has a female given name - a city and a nation less known to Malaysians but travelling has widened my horizon and knowledge on Eastern Europe .....

The Secret of Life - Life is fragile. Life is short. Do not take life for granted. Live a balanced lifestyle and enjoy life "


No comments:

Post a Comment