Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Europe (Vienna, Austria) April/June 2010 D15-D16


I departed Bratislava at 08.30 using my Eurolines pass for a bus trip to Vienna. The short trip took less than an hour and on arrival, I took a Metro (Euro$1.80) from Erdberg station to Westbahnhorf station where my hostel, Do Step In ( Euro$12.50 dorm) was located. 

I used Vienna as a base for my visits to Eastern Europe (Romania, Bulgaria & Greece) and Southern Europe (Italy) so I stayed for a total of 4 days in Vienna. This allowed ample time for me to explore Vienna. Again due to a tight Eurolines timetable, my interest in visiting Slovenia and Salzburg was put on hold.

Wet weather in Vienna had made my stay here a bit messy so I had to carry an umbrella with me most of the time.

Vienna has an efficient Metro train network so I made use of the day ticket (Euro$5.70) to visit the major sites. However, for certain day, I preferred to do walking tour as my hostel was close to a number of tourist sites in the old city located along Mariahilfer Street, Museum Quartier, Volkstheater & Stephanspl area

Expenses incurred in Vienna, Austria:
Hostel (3 x Euro$12.50 + $15) = Euro$52.50
Metro tickets- $15
Food & groceries -$17
Entrance ticket (Schonbrunn) - Euro$8
Total expenses - Euro$92.50

Travel Highlights:

1) The Palace and Gardens of Schloss Schonbrunn - a UNESCO site, (admission fee to Grand Tour of the Palace-Euro $12.90). Built in the 17 century. I enjoyed my time visiting the Privy Garden, Gloriette & Palm House. I made another visit to Schonbrunn after my Eastern Europe tour.





















2) Hofburg Imperial Palace - also known as Winter Palace dating back to the 13th century. Adolf Hitler made a famous speech here during the 2nd World War.



3) Museum Quartier - Art, Art, Art !


4) Kunshistoriches Museum (Museum of Fine Art) & The statute of Athena in front of Austrian Parliament


5) Stephansdom (St Stephen's Cathedral) - a 13th century Gothic masterpiece




6) Mozart statue



7) Albertina - has the largest art collections by renowned artists and painters ie Michelangelo's, Raohaels and Albrecht Durer's Hare



8) Old Churches in Vienna




9) Towers, Statues & Monuments - as I wandered around Vienna



10) Giant Ferris Wheel - an amusement park


11) Uno city - the modern city outlook of Vienna



12) Souvenirs in Vienna - no cheap sale, classy, elegant looking and pricey; easy for me as I do not have a deep pocket and only indulge in window shopping only


13) Fashion wear in Vienna - lovely to see, lovely to wear but after looking at the price tags; not that lovely to buy. If I am a fat cat, I do not mind splashing my money on these items !




" Vienna (English name) or Wien (the official German name) is host to United Nations & OPEC. After visiting Wien,I come to know - 1) Adolf Hitler made a famous speech to the Austrian people from the balcony of the Neue Burg, a part of Hofburg, 2) a hotbed for international espionage in the 40's, 3) in 1961, J F Kennedy & Khrushchev met in the imperial residence of Schonbrunn to put some warmth in the relationship between the West and the Soviet bloc ....

The historical centre of Vienna is an UNESCO site. No wonder tourists love Vienna, a centre for classical music, theater, opera & fine art. Come to Vienna and listen to Vienna's Boy's Choir and to Salzburg, listen to the Sound of Music, where Mozart lived 250 years ago ....

The Secrets of Life - You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future "


No comments:

Post a Comment