Day 2 Monday 7th August 2017 - our main focus for today is to explore Hulhumale town, the Eastern beach & a ferry ride to Male city for an overnight stay. It is also convenient for us to take a public ferry from Villingili Ferry Terminal, Male City to Radshoo Atoll as we had booked a hotel for our overnight stay on the 3rd Day.
The hotel we stayed, House Clover Guest House, is an apartment building right in the center of Male City. The hotel is within 20 minutes walking distance from the Hulhumale Ferry and Airport Ferry Terminal, Male City and also the Villigili Ferry Terminal !
As there is little agricultural & food production in Maldives (most of the basic & essential processed food are imported), food prices here are generally 2-3 times higher than our home country, Malaysia !
|Male City Map|
2) Morning stroll near our hotel in Hulhumale town, 6 km via main road from Male Airport. Most of the local people are housed in government built low rise apartments. The local Red Wave supermarket chain dominates the retail industry here.
|Mini market in Hulhumale|
|A double storey shops & cafes building in downtown Hulhumale|
|Government owned apartments|
|Red Wave Supermarket in Hulhumale town - a popular supermarket chain in Maldives|
|Nirolhu Magu is the main road in Hulhumale|
3) Eastern Beach behind the Newtown & UI Inn, Hulhumale. August is a low season month so the beach is quiet with fewer tourists, mainly from China & nearby countries ie Sri Lanka & India. Ideal for a morning or evening walk on the sandy beach or take a swim or indulge in water sports.
|Seafood dishes - Chinese style cooking|
13) 2nd night stay at Male city - Due to an afternoon shower as the roads were wet & narrow, our group decided to flag a taxi (US$5) near the Ferry Terminal to House Clover Hotel, Ma. Anaarukalee Shaheed KTM Hingun, Male City; our apartment room unit (Rm483=US$112 for a triple beds) is located on the 9th floor but the reception counter is at the 5th floor. An additional US$3 per person per night was collected by the reception as payment to Green Tax imposed by the local government. This was one of the best hotels we had stayed in Maldives. Online booking via agoda.com
14) Late afternoon walking tour around Male city - free & easy with the guidance of a hotels' city map & an offline GPS Male google map, frankly it is not that easy to get lost in this smallish city !
|Male City street names - difficult to spot on !|
15) Rasfannu Artificial Beach, Western Male City - very popular for locals to picnic & for family recreation
16) Tsunami Monument