Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chiang Rai, Thailand (Jan 2015)


Total cost incurred: 700 bht (Day tour package)
Chiang Rai / Golden Triangle - Day Tour Package (07.00>20.00 + Buffet Lunch)


On the 2nd day of my stay in Chiang Mai, I signed up a one day package tour to Chiang Rai from my hostel and I paid 700 bht (normal price is 800 bht) for it. The tour covered a visit to the following:
- Hot Spring & White Temple in Chiang Rai
- Golden Triangle (Mekong river trip to Laos border - 300 bht is optional)
- Yao & Akha hill tribe (visit Long Neck Karen - 300 bht is optional)
- Mae Sai Burmese border

As my wife did not accompany me on this trip, I skipped the boat trip and Long Neck Karen visit. But I was able to take some good pictures near Golden Triangle & the Yao hill tribe. The famous White Temple in Chiang Rai was packed with both local and foreign tourists and we were very impressed after seeing the unique architecture & design of this temple !

The day tour includes a buffet lunch and hotel pick up & drop off. Originally I intend to take a bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and stay for a night in Chiang Rai but opted for the day tour as the 12 hr tour package covered all the major places I intended to see and also save me a lot of time and cost if I was to venture on my own.

Our small tour group comprised of 11 people ( 5 Europeans & 6 Asians ) accompanied by a tour guide.

Chiang Rai is about 180 km from Chiang Mai and famous for its opium trade in Thailand.


12 seater + One Tour Guide & Driver

Hot Spring, Chiang Rai


White Temple (Wat Rong Khun), Chiang Rai



Mae Sai Burmese Border - Thailand's northernmost town


Free Buffet Lunch - taste great & filling

Yao & Akha Hill Tribe

Sun-dried sweet corn in Yao hill tribe - any secret recipe to prepare this charcoal like corn into a delicious home cooked meal for a dinner tonight ?


2 comments:

  1. Backpacking to a neighbouring country is a great fun so I just show up and enjoy the days to the fullest !

    ReplyDelete