Sunday, February 1, 2015

Bangkok, Thailand (Jan 2015)


Total cost incurred (2 days) : 2,263bht
Hostel (1 night): 400bht (dorm)
Food: 406bht
Bus: 342 bht (Bangkok> Sukhothai)
Train : 845 bht (Bangkok>Hatyai)
Metro: 102bht
Taxi: 100bht
Luggage storage: 50bht
Sundries: 18 bht


This was my 6th visit to Bangkok. For this trip, I planned to stay for 2 nights in Bangkok as I was keen to visit the Bridge of the River Kwai. But the weekend rail car excursion train tickets departing Hua Lamphong to Kanchanburi on Saturday were fully booked so I cut short my stay in Bangkok to only one night.

It was around noon when I arrived in Bangkok from Hua Hin. After taking the Sky train & MRT subway, I checked into @Hua Lamphong hotel located opposite the Hua Lamphong train station.

Given that the hotel I booked is about 15 mins walk to the China Town so I focused my visit to China Town in the late afternoon and also at night to savour some local Thai food. The night market in China Town was full of people from 18.00 onwards - no regret at all after seeing & spending time in this place !

The next morning, I took a MRT subway from Hua Lamphong to Kamphanenphet. Upon arrival, I took a taxi (40 bht) to Mo Chit Bus Terminal for a bus ride (342 bht) to Sukhothai.

On my return bus trip from Chiang Mai to Kaosan Road, Bangkok (500 bht) and upon arrival, I bought a sleeper train ticket departing Bangkok for Hat Yai at 14.00. In between time, I had the opportunity to visit the Lumphini Park, the Paragon and Siam shopping mall.

Hua Lamphong train station, Bangkok





@Hua Lamphong Hotel, 326/1 Rama IV Road, Mahaphruttharam, Bangrak, Bangkok - opposite the train station, exit from MRT subway No 1 & No 4


Dorm bed - 400 bht

Victory Monument


Lumphini Park


King Rama VI Statue


MBK / Siam Center / Paragon shopping mall


A khlong (a canal) opposite the Hua Lamphong train station, heading towards China Town; joining the Mae Nam Chao Phraya river


China Town, Bangkok


China Town by night


My favourite food in China Town

Teow Chew seafood porridge - 100 bht per bowl
Fish maws - 50 bht per bowl
Pork offals noodle soup - 50 bht per bowl
Fresh cut pineapples - 30 bht

BTS (Sky train) & MRT subway station, Bangkok

BTS Sky Train
MRT subway train
MRT subway station to Hua Lamphong
MRT subway station at Kamphaenghet  (Chatuchak)
Chatuchak shopping mall

Mo Chit Bus Terminal (Chatuchak), Bangkok


Mo Chit Bus Terminal (Chatuchak) - North bound buses
Counter 52 for bus tickets to Sukhothai
Waiting lounge
Bangkok>Sukhothai VIP bus - 342 bht

Bangkok Post or Washington Post ?


Red for Prosperity

No comments:

Post a Comment