Sunday, October 10, 2010

China (Kunming, Yunnan) Sept 2010 D-27, D-28 & D-29

Map of Kunming, Yunnan, China

Hostel: Nil
Train: Kunming>Guilin-CNY270 (Hard sleeper)
Food & groceries: CNY39
Bus: CNY6
Total expenses incurred: CNY315

Kunming Train Station, Yunnan

Kunming, Yunnan - My presence in Kunming is to take a connecting train from Kunming to Guilin, the last leg of my train journey in China. I spent a full day idling at the Kunming train station awaiting for my train departing at 19.34 to my final destination, Guilin - imagine a 12 hour wait.... patience, patience !

As I had visited Kunming in Sept 1998 so I was not very keen to spare my time in this city. Moreover, it was raining most of the time in Kunming.

Not to leave a blank page on my short Kunming stay in this blog, here is a snippet of stories and pictures which I like to relate in my recent years of travelling. Happy reading !

1) I love taking pictures of Chinese calligraphy. Just look at these Chinese words, isn't it very well and nicely written with a special brush - do you recognize these Chinese words ?




2) I love staying in HI hostels - Hostelling International is the brand name of the International Youth Hostel Federation, the organization that represents Youth Hostel Associations worldwide. As a member of the Malaysian Youth Hostel Association (MYHA), I enjoy staying in HI hostels as most Youth Hostels provide a good night's sleep in friendly surroundings at an affordable price (members are eligible for a 10% discount on the room rate). A sort of birds of a feather flock together feeling for me staying in HI hostels ! Most HI hostels have kitchen facilities, English speaking reception staffs, computer room, water heaters, air-conditioning, dormitory beds with shared bathrooms, private room with ensuite etc to cater to the discerning travelers. For budget travelers, HI hostels are the best option but there are many non HI hostels to pick from the http://www.hostelworld.com/ website including family run hostels operating near train and bus stations, major tourist sites etc. On-line pre-booking is desirable to ensure you have a bed or room on arrival especially during the peak seasons or weekends. Virtually all Youth Hostels affiliated with Hostelling International carry a HI logo prominently displayed on their signboards which are easily visible as you walk towards their premises.

3) I love visiting World Cultural and Natural Heritages - The World Heritage list currently has 800 UNESCO Cultural and Natural heritage sites in 135 countries. You are a "super" traveler if you have visited 80% of the world's UNESCO sites. Malaysia, my home country currently has 4 UNESCO cultural & natural heritage sites ie 1) Mt Kota Kinabalu, 2) Gunung Mulu National Park, Miri 3) Malacca & 4) George Town. Shame on me as I have yet to visit Mt Kota Kinabalu and Gunung Mulu National Park !


4) I love taking snapshots - A pair of identical animated figure heads taken in front of two old solid doors - the left picture was taken in Shaolin Temple, Luoyang and the right was in Confucius Temple, Qufu ! Fear and elegantly looking !


5) I love to wander around, free & easy when I travel - Right place ! Right timing ! Lucky me !

1) China's 60th National Anniversary Celebration at Tiananmen Square - A big salutation to China, Happy Birthday (Oct 1 2009) ! I was one of the million people at the Tiananmen Square - an eye opener for me to experience such a huge crowd !


2) Shanghai Expo - Well done, Shanghai ! (May 1 - Oct 2010) . By mid Oct 2010, some 70mil people had visited the Expo. Lucky me, I was one of them !




3) The Labor Day in Russia - Red Square, Moscow. Right timing ! Right Place !


" The Secret of Life : Travel is not a transaction. It is a very emotional journey leaving behind a big fond memory "

No comments:

Post a Comment