Sunday, October 10, 2010

China Sept 2010

" Travelling is beautiful because of the memories of yourself & others " 

" Failure is easy. Success is a marathon "

" For some retirees, they take the road less traveled and somehow they are able to enjoy the richness of LIFE that become part of the journey "

" My 30 days in China (Tianjin, Beijing, Taishan, Qufu, Suzhou, Shanghai, Anhui, Hangzhou, Wuyishan, Lushan, Wuhan, Wudangshan, Dali, Lijiang & Guilin - 1/9-1/10/2010 - fulfilling my dream to see more of the China's UNESCO heritage sites and also visiting Shanghai Expo "

2010 is my 5th year in travelling since my retirement in May 2006. How time has flown !!! Time and tide wait for no man !!! Everybody wants to be old, but nobody wants to grow old !!! I hope my present mental, physical and spiritual strength will allow me to continue travelling in the years ahead, Happy travelling.

After a 30 day solo visit to China in Sept 2009, I made a solemn promise that I shall return to China again in my pursuit to see more of the UNESCO heritage sites especially the natural wonders ie the nature reserves and the top national parks in China. 

After resting for three months since my return from Europe in early June 2010 and with a promo Air Asia ticket costing RM509 ( KL>Tianjin-Guilin>KL), I got ready all my travel gears and landed myself in Tianjin on 1st Sept 2010 to begin my 30 day trip in China. 

My brother Yuen who had previously accompanied me to the Silk Road trail, China ( Xian >Dun Huang >Turpan >Urumqi >Kanas) in 2006 was my travel mate for 2 weeks and he departed from Hangzhou to Kuala Lumpur on 14th Sept to resume work.

Due to a rainy spell, I was not able to visit Mt Huangshan and this was the only regret for this trip. All the other UNESCO sites went according to schedule so overall I was pretty happy with the outcome.

As my visit coincided with the Shanghai Expo 2010, I had the opportunity to visit our Malaysia Pavilion and other major Asean & European Pavilions. I grinned with delight as I walked into the Denmark Pavilion and spotted the Little Mermaid statute which was on display on the ground floor of the Pavilion - I missed seeing the Little Mermaid when I visited Copenhagen in May 2010. Another dream fulfilled - thanks to the Shanghai Expo.

I departed in Guilin for home on 1st Oct 2010, the first day of the China's 61st national day anniversary celebration - deliberately running away from the local madding crowd jamming major tourist sites, highways and train rides when the nation went on a week long holiday and celebration mood !

Travel itinerary: Kuala Lumpur > Tianjin >Tai Shan > Qufu > Suzhou > Shanghai > Huang Shan > Hangzhou > Wuyishan > Mt Lushan > Wuhan > Mt Wudang Shan > Zhangjiajie > Dali > Lijiang > Kunming > Guilin > Kuala Lumpur

The UNESCO Sites I visited in China:

1) Mt Taishan
2) Confucious Temple, Mansion & Cementary in Qufu
3) Suzhou Gardens
4) Ancient Villages in Anhui - Hongchun & Xidi
5) Mt Wuyishan
6) Mt Lushan
7) Ancient Architectural Complex on Mt Wudang
8) Wullingyuan Scenic Area / Zhangjiajie
9) Ancient City of Lijiang

In addition to above , I re-visited the following UNESCO sites in China & also took the opportunity to visit the Shanghai Expo 2010:

10) Great Wall of China
11) Palace Museum of Beijing (Forbidden City)
12) Temple of Heaven

Travel Highlights:

1) Mt Taishan, Shandong


2) Confucius Temple, Mansion & Cemetery in Qufu (UNESCO), Shandong


3) Suzhou Gardens (UNESCO), Jiangsu


4) Ancient Villages in Anhui - Hong Chun & Xidi (UNESCO)


 5) Mt Wuyishan, Fujian


6) Mt Lushan, Jiangxi


7) Ancient Architectural Complex on Mt Wudang Shan, Hubei


8) Wullingyuan & Zhangjiajie, Hunan

 
9) Ancient City of Lijiang, Yunnan


10) Great Wall of China, Beijing (UNESCO)


11) Temple of Heaven, Beijing


12) Palace Museum, Beijing (Forbidden City)


13) Shanghai Expo 2010 (Malaysia Pavilion)


Total expenses incurred (30 days) : CNY6,258 +Rm741 +US$28 = Rm3,800

Cost breakdowns: 
-Airline Flight Itinerary Booking Date: 14/11/2009
Flight No: D7 2612. Depart KL > Tianjin at 08.30 arriving 14.35 on 1/9/2010 - RM284 ( promo ticket inclusive of airport tax, luggage fee & meal)
Return: Flight No AK103. Depart Guilin > KL at 11.10 arriving 15.20 on 1/10/2010 - CNY450 (inclusive of airport tax, luggage fee & meal)
-Travel insurance: RM75
-China Visa: RM58
-Hostels + Booking fee (23 nights) : CNY1,120 + US$28
-Entrance fee + Cable cars : CNY1,638
-Day tour ( Great Wall) : CNY140
-Train tickets + Long distance bus: CNY1,119 + CNY243
-Bus + Taxi + Metro: CNY228 + RM9
-Food & groceries: CNY1,100
-Sundries: CNY670


" Another wonderful trip to China in my world of travelling - leaving behind my foot prints in Mt Taishan, Mt Wuyishan, Mt Lushan, Mt Wudangshan & Zhangjiajie / Wullingyuan and a marvellous opportunity to visit the Shanghai Expo 2010 and seeing the Little Mermaid on display at the Denmark Pavilion.

The Secrets of Life: Peace of mind starts with being grateful for what we have right now "

No comments:

Post a Comment