Saturday, February 12, 2022

World Good Fortune Places & My Fortune Visits

" We must be willing to let go of the LIFE we planned so as to to have the LIFE that is waiting for us " 

There goes the story of my "fortune" visits (my backpacking years of 2006>2019) to 7 World Fortune Places taking as a cue from a local English newspaper article write-up captioned "Where to find good fortune ... maybe. Be it wealth, a successful career or good health, these 10 places may just shower you with some luck" dated Day 10 (Feb 10) of the Chinese New Year 2022 ! 

The travel writer of this article went on to write the following " There are many reasons why people love to travel (like KM). Many journey far & wide in pursuit of something new & exciting, like a grand adventure or once-in-a-lifetime experience.

And for some, it's all about finding fortune, as well as finding the perfect fairytale romance. 

After 2 years of living in a pandemic, we could all use some optimism & luck in our lives. What better way to obtain good fortune than visiting some of the most popular places believed to make all your dreams come true ? "  

I was so enthused by this article & the pictures posted & after reading the content therein, I then realised that in my world of travelling thus far, I had visited (coincidence or luck ?) a total of 7 the World Fortune Places out of the 10 as highlighted by the writer ! What a great consolation to me ! 

When I showed up (backpacking) in Charles Bridge, Prague (Czech Republic, 2009), Hagia Sophia, Istanbul (Turkey 2008), Sensoji Temple, Tokyo & Fushimi Inari Temple, Kyoto (Japan 2008 & 2010) & Pont des Art Love Lock's Bridge, Paris (France 2011), I had probably this Chinese word "Fu" feeling in me that these so called World Fortune Places which I happened to be there at the right time & right place could be my once in a life time visit (been there & done that, not expecting to show up again) ! As for my 2 other visits to The Trevi Fountain, Rome (Italy 2010) & Charging Bull or Wall Street Bull, New York (USA 2019), I will probably deem it as my once-in-a-lifetime visit as of now ! The other 3 Fortune Places ie Hoover Dam (Nevada USA), Balrney Castle (Cork, Ireland) & Casa di Giulietta (Verona, Italy), these will be in my pipe dreams or fanciful hope !

But being passionate all this while in travelling, I was so fortunate that I strike the right chord in the Wheel of Fortune that I was able to re-visit these 5 Fortune places (Charles Bridge, Hagia Sophia, Sensoji Temple, Fushimi Inari Temple & Pont des Art Love Lock's Bridge) once again together with my wife & relatives - this time I called it a double bonus realising that I still had this little "Fu" or fortune in me ie the health in me to travel to these Fortune places one more time (2 or 3 of these places I re-visited were over a lapse of 8 to 10 years) ! Come May 2022, I am 71 going on to 72  & curiously I asked KM, do you still possess the "Fu" in you to travel in this difficult period (realising traveling during pandemic is fraught with uncertainly) as Covid-19 is still lurking around in this world & no sign of "evaporating" into the thin air ! But time will tell ! 

In our life, if you have acquire a "Fu" or fortune or someone give you a "lift" or shower you with a little "Fu", seize it & treasure it as long as you can, as "Fu" could diminish over the time or slip away & you are back to a square one ! It is said that the Wheel of Fortune represents change, for better or for worst ! Life is like a yo yo, full of ups & downs, you will never able to predict your futuristic endeavor; whether it is a happy or sad ending, no body can tell !  In travelling, you win some you lose some ! May the year of Tiger gives you a roaring start in 2022 ! Happy travelling ! 


Chinese Character "Fu" 
meaning " Fortune" or "Good Luck"
Will the Wheel of Fortune
turns in your favour ?
Chinese Character "Fu" upside down
meaning Fortune or Prosperity arriving !


My Fortune visits to 7 out of the 10 "Fortune Places" as highlighted in the travel article:

1) The Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy - this Fountain is perhaps the best destination for good fortune in 2022, rumour has it that those seeking good fortune should close their eyes & toss a coin over their left shoulder, using their right hand, doing this will bring you luck & a return trip to Rome in the future ! 

My Fortune visit to The Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy in June 2010 (also visited Colosseum & Vatican City) - like most tourists did, I threw a coin onto the fountain pond (following the right advice) & guessed what, I have not return to Rome but instead I made 2 free & easy solo visits to Italy (visited Pisa, Florence, Venice & Trieste in May 2011; Rimini & Ancona in May 2014) ! In addition, these 2 visits fulfilled my dreams of seeing Monaco (via Nice, France), Ljubljana, Slovenia (via Trieste, Italy), San Marino (via Rimini, Italy) & the Balkan states of Croatia, Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania & Moldova (via a ferry crossing from Ancona, Italy to Split, Croatia) - the wheel of fortune had indeed brought some luck to me after my Trevi Fountain, Rome visit in June 2010 ! Was it Luck ? Passion ? Courage ? Excitement ? Or a combination of all these factors in play ? 


2) The Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey - completed in 537AD, Hagia Sophia has been demolished & reconstructed multiple times, Hagia Sophia houses a bronze hole called the "weeping column" which visitors can stick & rotate their thumb into, in a perfect circle, legend has it that those who get into their fingers wet when doing this will have their wish granted !

My Fortune visit No 1 to The Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey - Oct 2008 (solo, free & easy visit), I had the "Fu" to re-visit Hagia Sophia in Nov 2018 (a lapse of 10 years), once upon a time a church, museum & mosque, this marvellous building is regarded as one of the best architectural places of worship in the world ! 



My Fortune visit No 2 to The Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey - Nov 2018 (package tour with my wife)


3) Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic - this oldest & famous stone bridge was built in in the early 15th century, a total of 30 statutes are erected on either side the pathway, these figures play a significant part in drawing tourists in as it is widely believed each statute has its own fortune to grant visitors, rumour has it that people who touch The St John of Nepomuk statute (oldest & only bronze figure) will have good luck & a return trip Prague !  

My Fortune visit No 1 to Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic - May 2009 (solo, free & easy visit) - I had the "Fu" to re-visit Charles Bridge in May 2017 with my wife on a package tour after a lapse of 8 years ! 

Charles Bridge, Prague,
Czech Republic (2009)

My Fortune visit No 2 to Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic - May 2017 (package tour with my wife + sister + brother-in-law & wife)


4) Fushimi Inari-taisa, Kyoto, Japan - over 1,300 years old, Fushimi is the most important shrine for over 30,000 Inari shrines around Japan, as head shrine for Inari, it is no surprise many believe anything related to prosperity falls under its domain, travellers seeking prosperity can visit the Okushahohal-sho hall, visitors will be greeted by 2 rocks in this hall that have the ability to predict the likelihood of one's success, curious tourists who wish to to try their luck can place a small donation & make a wish, if the rock picked up is lighter than expected, the probability of said wish coming true is high, Omamori (Japanese good luck charm) can also found throughout the shrine !

My Fortune visit No 1 to Fushimi Inari-taisa, Kyoto, Japan April 2010 (free & easy visit with my wife + brother-in-law & wife) - I had the "Fu" to re-visit this 1,300 year Japanese shrine in April 2017 with my wife on a package tour after a lapse of 7 years ! 

My Fortune visit No 2 to Fushimi Inari-taisa, Kyoto, Japan April 2017 (package tour with my wife)


5) Sensoji Temple, Tokyo, Japan - founded in 654AD, Tokyo's oldest temple  & house the sacred statute of Kannon, the Goddess of Mercy, hundreds of pilgrims would visit this temple to pray & offer blessings to the Kannon statute located in the main hall, many people tend to circle around a massive incense burner as it is believed that bathing in the smoke & rubbing incense on the aching body part will heal wounds & improve one's health !

My Fortune visit No 1 to Sensoji Temple, Tokyo, Japan - April 2008 (free & easy visit with 2 Hospitality Club members from Ipoh, Perak), I had the "Fu" to bring my wife & her sister & husband to re-visit this ancient Sensoji Temple in April 2010, a quick & short lapse of only 2 years ! Was there a plentiful of "Fu" in me, I don't know ! 


My Fortune visit No 2 to Sensoji Temple, Tokyo, Japan - April 2010 (free & easy visit with my wife + brother-in-law & wife)


6) Pont des Arts, Paris, France - one of the loveliest attractions Paris has to offer is the Pont des Arts or the Love Lock's Bridge (built in 1984), it is famous for being the destination couples visit to do a very special ritual, since 2008, many lovebirds would attach locks on the bridge's grate before throwing the key into the river as a sign of endless devotion, in Feb 2014, an estimated 700,000 locks were attached to the bridge, this raised the concern that the weight of the locks could damage the bridge's structure, in June 2015, the locks were removed in stages by the city authority !

My Fortune visit No 1 to Pont des Arts, Paris, France - May 2011 (solo free & easy visit), the "Fu" I had brought me back to re-visit this Love Lock's Bridge in May 2012 together with my wife, sister-in-law & her husband; an instant "Fu" for me after a lapse of only 1 year ! 


My Fortune visit No 2 to Pont des Arts, Paris, France - May 2012 (free & easy visit with my wife +  brother in-law & wife)


7) Charging Bull, New York, USA - the Charging Bull famously known as Wall Street Bull is a heavy bronze figure (3,000kg) erected in the bustling complex of New York City, its symbolises the might of New York where anyone can succeed as long as they work hard, side from being a representative of the spirit of Americans, this iconic sculpture is believed to bring wealth & prosperity, unlike other destinations, the method of drawing luck here is a bit more peculiar, you have to rub the bull in the rear by its testicles, many tourists actually bold enough to do it for luck !

My Fortune visit to Charging Bull, New York, USA - May 2019  (free & easy visit with 2 of my travel buddies from Klang Valley) - this Johnny come lately "Fu" was a real blessing to me as Covid-19 reared its ugly head in late 2019 & became a pandemic in 2020 till now ! Otherwise, I would have missed the boat in seeing the Charging Bull, my once in a life time travel experience to East Coast of USA & Canada ! 

Yet to visit - remains only a dream at this stage !

8) Hoover Dam, Nevada, USA - this 221m tall dam was built between 1931 & 1936 during the Great Depression, its popularity among tourists is thanks to the winged bronze zones it houses at its entrance, these statutes known as Winged Figures of the Republic, are enormous, standing over 9m high, it's said that people who rub the feet of these figures will be blessed with good fortune !

9) Blarney Castle, Cork, Ireland - try kissing the Blarney Stone, according to the folklore, kissing the stone upside down in a prone position will grant visitors the power of speech, many tourists worldwide would drop by to give this stone a peck, Winston Churchill was reported one of the famous figures who have kissed this stone !

10) Casa di Giulietta, Verona, Italy - rumoured to be the location that inspired Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet; this castle attracts thousands of people who wish to seek love !

No comments:

Post a Comment