Saturday, September 22, 2018

Malaysia (Mid Autumn / Moon Cake Festival) Sept 2018


1) Monday 24th Sept 2108 is a Moon Cake or Mid Autumn Festival; this week during the Mooncake festival, I had a taste of various types of local made moon cakes at home - I really love them ! A box of 4 delicious moon cakes costs Rm75-Rm80 or slightly more for the branded ones. Popular types of traditional & modern mooncakes on sale in Malaysia are lotus seed paste with york, mooncakes with five kernel & nuts, snow skin mooncakes, green tea mooncakes, mini mooncakes, Shanghai mooncakes, mooncakes with durian flavor etc. 

Mid-Autumn Festival is a harvest festival widely celebrated by the Chinese & Vietnamese people and the festival is held annually on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar, with full moon at night. For this occasion, great poets during the Tang dynasty in China had written a number of famous poems especially in association with the August moon ! 

The most famous Li Bai's poem is "Thoughts On A Still Night" or "Quiet Night Thought" ! This famous Li Bai's poem in English simply means:

Thoughts on a Still Night poem by Li Bai, one of the greatest poet in China 

In front of my bed is the bright moonlight
I suspect it is frost on the ground
I raise my head to look at the bright moon
Then I lower my head thinking of my hometown


Wishing you all an enjoyable & happy Moon Cake festival !




2) China CCTV Mid-Autumn Festival Evening Show - Live telecast 24th Sept 2018 (16.00 > 22.30); I spent 3-4 hrs glued to my reclining sofa chair to watch this live telecast show in front of my TV - very entertaining indeed; while watching I had my dinner and when the show was about to end at around 22.30, I munched a small piece of mooncake with 5 kernel / nuts (a great bite) before retiring for bed ! What a yummy yummy night - a full moon in my home place !



In remembrance of Li Bai (701-762), one of the greatest poet during the Tang Dynasty (China's golden age in poetry), China. Other poets in ancient China too had excellent poems for the present generation to recite & appreciate ! Another of his contemporary is Tu Fu, also a great poet during that era. 


CCTV Mid-Autumn (Mooncakes) Festival evening show in Sydney, Australia (Monday 24th Sept 2018)


CCTV Mid-Autumn evening show in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Monday 24th Sept 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment