Sunday, January 23, 2011

Laos (Vientiane) Jan 2011 D-4 & D-7

Hostel: Intha Hotel (cost sharing, deluxe double bed room) = B284
Food: 87,000kip (B352) + B110
Tuk-tuk: 15,000kip (B60) + B90
Departure Tax: 9,000kip (B4)
Total expenses incurred: B900=Rm95


In Vientiane, I stayed in Intha Hotel (a 3 storey old colonial building) for 2 nights and the hotel is located near the Wat Chan & Ong Toue temples, within walking distance to the Mekong River. As I travelled solo, I had to pay a deluxe room price (B568) for a double bed. However, on the 2nd night, I shared the room with a young tourist from Israel.

On the 1st day, I had the whole afternoon roaming the city and also spending my evening walking around the Mekong River, outside the Presidential Palace & Patuxai (Victory Gate) area.

For lunches and dinners, I savored the local roasted pork noodle (B80), seafood fried rice (130,00kip=B52) & egg with baby mussels (130,000kip) at open air riverside restaurants near the Mekong River.


As for the 2nd day after my return from Luang Prabang, I visited the Buddha Park.
The weather at this time of the year was superb and cool, so bring along a jumper as an evening wear.

1) Statue of the founder of Vientiane standing tall, facing the Mekong River front


2) Temples, wats, stupas, Buddhist sculpture, temple architecture - my two days in Vientiane were well rewarded; no regret coming here having visited Angor wat (Cambodia), Ayutthaya (Thailand) & Borobudur temple (Indonesia) in recent years.




3) Patuxai (Victory Gate) - built in 1960's; this Laos monument resembles the Arc de Triomphe of Paris



4) Xieng Khuan (Buddha Park) - costs only 5,000kip (B20) for a minibus from Talat Sao bus terminal; entrance fee B30





5) Talat Sao Bus Terminal, Vientiane - bus services from Vientiane to Nong Khai, Buddha Park & Udon Thani etc


In Vientiane, I had a bowl of roasted pork noodles (B80) for lunch at a popular coffee shop; eating Laos style ! I really enjoyed the food and ambience surrounding the place.


" Don't audit LIFE. Show up and make the most of it now " 

No comments:

Post a Comment