Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thailand (Butterworth & Penang, Malaysia) Jan 2011 D-1 & D-2

Sleeper train - KL>Butterworth = Rm33 (senior citizen)
Bus - Butterworth>Hat Yai = Rm38
Food : Rm19
Ferry : Rm2.40
Total expenses incurred: Rm92


The KTM train from KL Sentral station departed 22.45 (late by 45 mins) and arrived in Butterworth at 06.00 in the morning. It was quite a comfortable ride and I slept well throughout the night.

As my next train departure from Butterworth to Bangkok was around 14.20 so I had 3/4 day in Butterworth - this gave me an opportunity to re-visit the Penang island ! My last visit to Penang was 7-8 years ago !

At around 06.45, I took a ferry (Rm2.40) and crossed over to Penang. There was a free shuttle air-con bus service (Rapid Penang) available at the Weld Quay bus terminal so this made my travelling to the Penang city center easier and with much comfort. I had my breakfast & lunch (porridge, prawn mee, fish ball noodles) at Chowrasta market and Lebuh Chulia and spent my time visiting the Komtar Prangin Mall, Chowrasta market, Goddess of Mercy temple and near the Weld Quay area.

At around 13.00, I took a ferry to Butterworth to board an Express International train to Bangkok departing at 14.20. However, I was shocked to learn that there was a last minute cancellation on this train service and a cash refund (Rm111) was paid to all affected passengers at the KTM ticketing counter.

At the Butterworth train station, I was approached by a local bus agent and as a beggar without any choice, I had to change my travel plan and decided to board an express bus (Rm38) from Butterworth to Hatyai leaving Butterworth bus terminal at 14.00. From Hatyai,  I then took a sleeper train (B855) to Bangkok departing 18.45. So there was no loss of time despite a minor set back. Lucky me !

1) Old vs New, Penang Island - The Pearl of Orient & Penang's charm



2) Weld Quay, Penang - Star cruise ship "Libra" in town, one up for Penang tourism; free shuttle bus service at Weld Quay to city centre passing Komtar, Chowrasta market, Museum etc


3) Old colonial buildings housing state government offices - Penang Town Hall, Magistrate Court, Penang Customs .


Due to a last minute cancellation of a train service from the Thai side, I opted for a VIP air-cond bus ride (RM38) from Butterworth to Hat Yai - smooth and comfortable ! "


" The Secrets of life : Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment