Saturday, October 17, 2009

China (Tiananmen Square, Beijing) Oct 2009 D-24 & D-25


After a 4 day stay in Datong, I took a train (CNY54) and departed Datong at 08.33 and I arrived in Beijing West Station at around 14.00. From the train station, I took a bus to a nearest Metro station and took a subway train to Lama Temple station , where my hostel - P.Loft Youth Hostel (CNY34 dorm) is located. This factory style hostel has a courtyard, karaoke room, café and a good mix of backpackers from Asian and Western countries.

After a short rest in the hostel, I took a Metro to Wangfujing. From there I walked towards Tiananmen Square as I was anxious to join the massive crowd to see what sort of activities been organized in the Tiananmen Square. Along the way, I saw armed pairs of helmeted SWAT police stood guard beside armored vehicles at many intersections, along the Chang An street. All passengers entering the subway had their bags scanned through metal detectors. There were many volunteers on duty at the subway stations, Metro trains and on the main streets providing supports to the security police force in directing the overwhelming crowd heading towards Tiananmen Square. Despite the huge crowd, it appeared that the police force and volunteers had a good control of the situation there. So it was really worth the efforts for me to show up, witness and experience the atmosphere of a grand event marking the 60 year's China anniversary celebration in Tiananmen Square.

Though I missed the fireworks display and the grand national parade organized on the eve and the 1st Oct morning but after seeing the float display in Tiannamen Square, I was overly impressed with what I saw tonight. I made another visit to Tiananmen Square the following afternoon as I missed seeing some of the floats on display at another end of the Square.

1) Tiananmen by night - A spectacular night scene in Tiananmen Square on 3 Oct 2009. A double celebration as today is also the Moon Cake festival. The moon was overly bright up in the sky! Some 60 bright colorful floats were on display in Tiannamen Square. The Forbidden City, The Great Hall of the People and the surrounding tourist landmarks were lighted up in grand style to the delight of the spectators.






2) Multiple color floats proudly on display in Tiananmen Square - All the floats on display represent the various provinces and key government agencies in China.




























3) Tiananmen Square in broad daylight - More floats on display, changing of police guards on duty, 56 red poles (a symbol of national unity) standing tall in Tiananmen Square






4) The madding crowd during the day and night in Tiananmen Square


" As the dragon soars .... The rise of a nation ... You are 60 going on strong ... Happy birthday, China ! I am 59 going on 60 ...ha...ha ! Bless you !

The secrets of Life - Do not panic when the lights go off, you can still see lots of stars in the sky "

No comments:

Post a Comment