Thursday, March 26, 2020

Malaysia (My Pre-Covid-19 Good Old Days in UK, Iran & The World) March 2020


" Take every chance you get in LIFE because some things only happen once " 

1) UK - high fatalities in London, total deaths (April 3 2020) 3,605 & 38,168 cases identified ! early stage in containing the virus outbreak not that strict; PM tested positive for Covid-19 & undergoing self isolation; all London train stations shut down; now under lockdown after WHO warns pandemic accelerating !


Malaysia's low cost airliner, AirAsiaX had regularly flights from Kuala Lumpur to London & Paris prior to their suspension of flights in 2015; so I took advantage of the low airfares & made my first visit to London in May 2009. My subsequent visits to London were in 2010, 2011, 2012 (via Paris) & 2014 (via Paris). In April 2012, my wife & brother-in-law joined me on a 14 days free & easy trip to Central Europe (France, Britain, Scotland, Switzerland & Lichtenstein)

London (2009)
London (2010)
London (2011) 
London (2012) 
Edinburgh, Scotland (2012)
London (2014)
Cardiff, Wales (2014)
The Giant Causeway, North Ireland (2014) 
Belfast, North Ireland (2014) 
Dublin, Ireland (2014) 

2) Iran - total cases 53,183 as at April 2 2020 & death toll is 3,294, New Year Nowruz Festival holiday restrictions until April 3 2020, shopping centers, bazaars & major religious sites closed, traditional gatherings ban, WHO had sent diagnostics kits, protective equipment, & medicines to Iran since the first case of Coronavirus reported ! 

I had so far visited Syria (prior to the Arab Spring), Jordan, Egypt, United Arab Emirates (UAE) & Oman in recent years. In March 2018, I made a solo free & easy visit to Iran during their New Year Nowruz Festival & spent a total of 13 days & visited Tehran, Shiraz, Persepolis, Isfahan, Yard & Qazvin. 

Tehran, Iran (2018) 
Shiraz, Iran (2018)
Persepolis, Iran (2018)
Isfahan, Iran (2018)
Yard, Iran (2018) 
Qazvin, Iran (2018) 

3) One for the album, face to face & year to year in my world of travelling from 2006 > 2020 prior to the Coronavirus outbreak ! Also My Good Old Days in travelling after my retirement in May 2006 at the age of 56 ! All my traveling LIFE is like a circle (the world is round anyway), I can't tell you why ! After the Covid-19 outbreak is over, my traveling LIFE is no longer like the yesteryear ! I will have to start with a clean sheet of paper & make some adjustment as the world we are living from now on will no longer be the same ! But I have nothing to lose as I still have a world to see ! 


1) 2006 - My first backpacking trip with my brother to China (Xian, Turpan, Dun Huang, Xinjiang & Kanas Lake); the start of my traveling LIFE after my retirement in May 2006 ! No looking back since then & I believe the world is your oyster if you have a strong passion, down to earth & enjoy what you are doing ! I had so far done over 20 visits to China & expect more to come as long as I am fit & able ...

Kanas Lake, Xinjiang, China (2006)

2) 2007 - My 1st 24 days backpacking trip with International Hospitality Club members to Northern India, Kashmir & Leh / Ladakh, a great trip for me, experiencing the "High & Low, Hot & Cold" along the way as our jeep "ferrying" our group from Kashmir to Leh & Ladakh & an old bus "trucking" me from Leh to Menali for my return trip ! Very adventurous indeed - a once in a lifetime trip for me !

Ladakh, India (2007)

3) 2008 - My 37 days solo backpacking trip to Jordan, Syria, Turkey & Egypt - Syria is now a war torn country for the last 10 years, I believed after this overland trip from Jordan to Syria in 2008, there is a very slim chance for me to set foot on Syria again ! As for Turkey, it was a Turkish Delight for me as I was able to revisit Turkey again on a package tour in Nov 2017 with my wife - lucky me ! 

The Pyramid, Cairo, Egypt (2008) 

4) 2009 - My 1st  45 days solo backpacking trip to Europe (London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Riga & Tallinn), Russia (Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Irkutsk & Lake Baikal), Mongolia (Ulan Bataar) & China (Beijing); this first visit to Europe gave me confidence & I was able to visit over 40 countries in Europe (except Serbia) in my subsequent trips roaming Europe free & easy 4 more times  ...

Winter's Palace, St Petersburg, Russia (2009) 

5) 2010 - My 14 days free & easy visit (together with my wife & sister-in-law) to Japan (Shizuoka, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyami Island, Hyogo, Himeiji City & Tokyo) - both my wife & myself  love visiting Japan & I am glad that I had so far done 2 free & easy visits & 2 package tours in this Land of Rising Sun ...

Shiraito Falls, Fujinomiya City, Japan (2010)

6) 2011 - My 9 days solo backpacking trip to Thailand (Hatyai, Bangkok & Nong Khai) & Laos (Vientiane & Lua Prabang) - due to the close proximity between Malaysia & Thailand, thus far I had done 7-8 overland train trips, either solo or with my travel buddies to this Land of Smiles ...  

Vientiane, Laos (2011) 

7) 2012 - My 9 days package tour with my wife to South Korea (Jeju Island, Mt Sorak & Seoul), my first winter experience overseas; hope I could do another free & easy visit to Korea again & I missed eating the Korean Kimchi ... 

Jeju Island, South Korea (2012) 

8) 2013 - My 15 days solo backpacking trip to Nepal (Kathmandu, Pokhara, Sarangkot, Royal Chitwan National Park & Bhatapur); No ABC mountain hiking for me, I just show up to get a better understanding of the cultural aspect of this mysterious country ! 

Bhatapur, Nepal (2013) 

9) 2014 - My 10 days free & easy visit with a travel buddy to Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, Danang, Hue & Hoi Ann) & Cambodia (Phenom Penh); my earliest visits  to these two countries were to Hanoi, Vietnam in 2007 & Siem Reap (Angor Wat) in 2006; South Vietnam was my first visit basically to fulfil my dream of seeing Ho Chi Minh city, once upon a time called Saigon during the Vietnam War era ! 

Hue, Vietnam (2014) 

10) 2015 - My 13 days free & easy visit with my wife to Eastern China (Hangzhou, Nanjing, Qingdao, Shanghai & Zhujiajio); a rare winter season visit for both of us in China as we prefer Spring or Autumn for most of our China visits in the past !  

Qingdao, China (2015) 

11) 2016 - My 22 days solo round the North & South islands visit to New Zealand (Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington, Picton, Kaikoura, Christchurch, Wellington, Queenstown, Arrowtown, Frank Josef Glacier & Nelson); my first visit to this KIWI land, clean & green like what their country image portraying as Simply New Zealand ! 

Rotorua, North Island, New Zealand (2016) 

12) 2017 - My 6 days free & easy visit with 2 of my travel buddies to Maldives (Hulhumale & Male City); our home grown low cost airline, Air Asia has regular flights to Maldives so my maiden visit to Maldives to admire the beautiful beaches, crystal clear sea & deep blue water of this country, located in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean !  

Hulhumale, Maldives (2017)

13) 2018 - My 14 days free & easy solo visit to United Arab Emirates (Dubai & Abu Dhabi) & Oman (Muscat); my happiest moment when I visited Burj Khalifah & Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai; also Emirates Palace & Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi; these architectural buildings were very impressive ! Another great outcome in this trip was that I had the opportunity to visit Muscat of Oman ...

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (2017) 

14) 2018 - My 12 days package tour with my wife & brother-in-law to Turkey (Istanbul, Ankara, Cappodocia, Pamukkale, Canakkale, Selcuk, & Kusadashi); my 2nd visit so a Turkish Delight awaited me after a lapse of 10 years when I did a 37 days solo free & easy visit to Jordan, Syria, Egypt & Turkey in 2008 ! 

Cappadocia, Turkey (2018)

15) 2019 - My 15 days package tour with my wife & youngest sister to Balkan States, Europe (Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia & Slovenia); Though I had earlier visited the Balkan states, but I was more than happy to join my wife & sister for this memorable trip one more time ! The Coronavirus pandemic has now spread to over 180 countries & with travel bans & suspension of international flights, it will take awhile for major European countries to revive their tourism industry & win back tourists ... 

Bucharest, Romania (2019) 

16) January 2020 - My free & easy day trip in my home country, Malaysia (Fraser's Hill, Pahang & Kuala Kubu Bahru, Selangor) with my brother & sister - we all were still able to breathe some fresh air, going uphill or downhill, at this juncture ! Malaysia, my home country was placed under a knowdown from March 18 > April 14 2020 due to the conronavirus outbreak - no more day trips, forget about free & easy travelling & all a traveller could do now is just stay at home, sunrise & sunset, waiting for the good days to come ! 

" All my LIFE's a circle; But I can't tell you why; Season's spinning round again; The years keep rollin' by "  - Let's spin our LIFE one more time after the Covid-19 pandemic is over ! 

Fraser's Hill, Perak (2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment