Monday, June 24, 2013

Thailand (Krabi, Phi Phi, Koh Samui & Phuket) June 2013


" LIFE teaches us to make good use of time, while time teaches us the value of LIFE " 

" Live every moment, love everyday. Cause before you know it, precious time slips away " 

" Everybody has to go through birth, aging, sickness & death. There is no exception. That is LIFE " \

" My 8 days solo visit to major beach resorts in Southern Thailand (Hatyai, Krabi, Koh Samui, Phi Phi Islands & Phuket ) from 15-22/6/2013 - bussing all the way from Kuala Lumpur to Southern Thailand & walking like a mud crab on the white sandy & magnificent beaches of Krabi, Koh Samui, Phi Phi islands & Phuket " 

Total expenses incurred in Southern Thailand 
( 8 days ) : Rm880 ( US$290 )

Bus: KL>Hatyai: Rm50
Inter city bus, pick-up trucks & ferry : 2,332 Bht
Tuktuk: 470 Bht
Hostels (Dorms-6 nights) : 1,690 Bht
Food: 1,840 Bht
Day tours (Phi Phi & Koh Samui): 1,350 Bht
Exchange Rate: Rm1=9.67 Bht; US$1=Rm3.00

Travel itinerary: Kuala Lumpur > Hatyai > Krabi > Koh Samui > Phuket > Hatyai >Kuala Lumpur

After my Nepal visit in March this year, I was aiming to visit USA/Canada in April/May but put on hold this travel plan due mainly to a forthcoming General Election which was to be held on 5th May 2013. Now that the election is over, so what's next ? After some thought, I picked Southern Thailand for a short visit due to her close proximity to Malaysia & also due to the reason that I have yet to visit their renowned beach resort places ie Krabi, Koh Samui, Phi Phi islands & Phuket. In 2010, I had visited Pattaya.

Though Air Asia, MAS & other local & regional airlines have regular flights to Hatyai, Phuket, Krabi & Koh Samui but for this trip, I took the long winded route ie by coach from Kuala Lumpur to Hatyai (Rm50-8hr) and then a connecting bus from Hatyai to Krabi (239bht-5hrs). After Krabi, I took a bus,ferry & taxi package (600bht-4hr) to Donsak Pier for a ferry crossing to Nathon Pier, Koh Samui. As for Koh Samui to Phuket (via Surat Thani & Phang-nga), I took a similar taxi, ferry & bus package (700bht-8hr) from a local travel agent. The bus ticket from Phuket town to Hatyai costs 293bht (7hr)

In Krabi, I signed up for a day tour (900bht) to the James Bond island (by longtail boat) but due to a bad weather, the trip was cancelled and I opted for a day tour (1,000bht) to the Phi Phi islands instead. I paid 350bht for a half day tour for a round the island trip in Koh Samui.

For this trip. I spent two night each in Krabi, Koh Samui & Phuket and two nights in the bus. I had a brief stopover visit in Hatyai for my return trip to Kuala Lumpur.

I went to Southern Thailand in high spirit (too blessed to be stressed) but have to face a dreaded haze / smog upon my return to Kuala Lumpur ! Life is not a bed of roses but that's life ! But for the next few weeks, my mind will be hazy and pray hard for the rain to come !

Here are some pictures & a little story on my island hopping visit in Southern Thailand.


Hatyai



Krabi


Phi Phi Islands



Koh Samui


Phuket




A Super Moon vs The Dreaded Haze - what a swing in mood ! A banner promoting a Full Moon Party at Koh Samui Chaweng Beach - Saturday 22 June 2013, organized by the Cha Cha Moon Beach Club. No Luck for me to participate as I left Koh Samui on 20th June. Otherwise, we could do cha cha, twist, rock & roll and have fun till the wee hours !



In contrast, upon my return to Kuala Lumpur on Sunday 23 June, I was greeted with a thick haze / smog caused by open burning to clear land for plantations in Indonesia - the API index has reached a very unhealthy level ! No escape for me, we are all smogged up & we are choking. So shall I make a return to Koh Samui in June 2014 to enjoy the sea breeze there or stay at home to face the brunt year after year ?


" LIFE always offers you a second chance. It's called tomorrow "

No comments:

Post a Comment