Sunday, July 5, 2009

Russia (Irkutsk) June 2009 D-35

After St Petersburg, Moscow and a four-night Trans-Siberian train ride , I had finally arrived in Irkutsk and guessed what, I can't wait to see Lake Baikal as soon as I stepped out from the Irkutsk train station ! The longest train ride so far in my life ! Irkutsk has a population of 600,000 and is strategically located on the Trans-Siberian trail. Most tourists make a stopover for 2-3 days here to visit Lake Baikal, a natural wonder well known to the world. This far away city in the south eastern Russia is situated on the Angara River, 68km from Baikal. In the old days, it used to be the Eastern Siberia's trading center for furs and ivory supplying to Mongolia, Tibet and China in exchange for tea and silk.

During the last winter, the temperature here dropped to -40C so it was bitterly cold in this part of the world ! So a red bleeding nose awaits you in winter. After spending four nights in the train (without showers), I arrived in Irkutsk train station in the early morning. It was a rainy day so a bit messy when I took a trolley bus from the train station to Admiral Hostel (Euro$12 dorm). Due to the wet weather, I wasted a whole day and stayed put in the hostel and chatted with a few fellow travelers staying in the same hostel. In between time, I went to a nearby money exchanger to buy some local rubles to pay for my train ticket to Mongolia and also my package tour (3 days 2 nights - 3,500 rub =Euro$85 inclusive of transport, lodging & meals) to lake Baikal.

As I got two days in Irkutsk and due to a train delay, I was able to explore this city in greater depth despite the bad weather. The city center and the river side recreation area were busy and crowded with people. A sign of prosperity in this small town of Russia ! I visited the Square of three churches, ploshchad Kirova, Karla Marxa, Central Market and along the Angara River side area. The church of the Saviours and the Epiphany Cathedral were worthy of a visit. Some ancient wooden houses looked very unique. As Irkutsk is close to the Mongolian border hence Mongolian style food are popular here.

1) The Square of Three Churches
1A) Epiphany Cathedral (300 years old )



 
1B) The Church of Savior ( 200 years old )





1C) Organ Music Hall (Polish Cathedral)


 
2) Chapel at the place of former Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan



3) Old Churches in Irkutsk



4) Statues of Lenin - I visited the tomb of Lenin in the Red Square, Moscow prior to my visit to Irkutsk.






5) Karle Marksa Street, open markets and nearby shopping mall - where local residents do their shopping and daily chores. Looking around, I was probably the only lone Asian tourist wondering around the area !






6) The bazaar market in Irkutsk - a tourist delight !







7) An old traditional wooden house and modern apartment homes in Irkutsk - what a contrast ! The old houses looked grand, isn't it ?






8) Central Market - the working class shop here for their fruit & vegetables, meat, seafood, cheeses, bakeries etc - the stalls were clean and neat, the equivalent of a modern supermarket in Asia.




9) The Irkutsk train station on the west bank of the Angara River - where I arrived from Moscow and departed for Ulaan Bataar, Mongolia - my next destination.







10) Dried omul fish from Lake Baikal on sale in Irkutsk seafood stalls







" Something to ponder in Irkutsk: As I wondered around in Irkutsk city, the people here seemed to lead a western life style; people were friendly and approachable and the city looked clean and well maintained . I felt secured and safe so sleep well if you are thinking of visiting Irkutsk in the near future. No secret police, No KGB and no European Brown bears to scare you away - they are for show only ! "




" I learned a geography lesson as a result of my visit to Irkutsk. Irkutsk is located at almost the very center of Asia. It is on the same latitude as Orenburg, Saratov Voronezh (god knows where these cities are), Warsaw and Berlin. It is 5,042 km and 5 time zones from Moscow and 8 time zones from Greenwich. Travelling helps to broaden your horizons, changes our perception of the world around us - did I choose a wrong place to come here ? Certainly not.

The Secrets in Life - Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time "


No comments:

Post a Comment