Sunday, July 5, 2009

Europe (Prague,Czech) May 2009 D13-D15



I was a bit reluctant to leave Paris so soon but all good things had to come to an end. I hope to re-visit Paris and see those places I had missed especially museums, and places in Challiot Quarter, Montparnasse, Jardin Des Plates Quarter, Beaubourg and Les Halles areas.

My next destination is Prague in Czech Republic. I took a Eurolines bus (Euro$74) from Paris departing 1415 and the journey took 15 hours. I arrived in Prague at around 05.30 in the next morning. On arrival at the Florenc station, I walked to Old Prague hostel ( Euro$15 dorm) located behind the Kotva Departmental Store, though it was drizzling at that time. As I was keen to visit Cesky Krumlov , a charming country town in the south of Prague and without hesitation, I took a bus ( departing 08.00) to Cesky. I spent 2 hours in Cesky and on my way back to Prague, I stopped at Cesky Budejovice, another country town located about 25 km from Cesky Krumlov.

On the second day, I focused my visit in the Old Town of Prague. As most of the tourist sites are located nearby, so it was quite easy and relaxing for me to see all the places within one day. So instead of staying for two nights, I cut short my stay in Prague and decided to take a night bus (Euro$50) to Budapest, Hungary departing 22.30.


This was the most productive visit in Prague as I was able to visit three popular towns ie Cesky Krumlov, Cesky Budejovice & Prague within a short period of two days.

1) Tyn Church - lovely to look at especially the twin Gothic steeples pointing at the top.



2) Astronomical Clock Tower - this Gothic Astronomical Clock Tower was built in 1410 - a price-less antique and a great pride to the people of Prague.


3) Powder Tower - this Tower looked rock solid, not powdery as it's name implied.


 
4) Henry's Tower - Another old Tower in the Old Town.



5) National Theatre


6) Charles Bridge - Spanned across the River Vltava, this famous old bridge is graced by 30 statues dating back to the 18th century. On the other end of the bridge, you could visit the Prague Castle .



7) St Nicolas Church - Located not far from the Prague Castle .




8) Prague Castle - a must see tourist site . The Castle was built in the 9th century. The large courtyard has the Castle Gallery, Old Royal Palace, Basilica of St George & the Convent of St George. At the time of my visit, there was a palace guard parade and performance.


9) Other interesting pictures taken in the Old Town of Prague



Something to ponder in Prague: Prague has a thousand year of history. The unique architecture and heritage sites in the Old Town of Prague speak for itself. During the Second World War, Prague escaped almost unscathed from the bombing. So the city is very much intact in comparison with Warsaw, Berlin & Budapest. If you are an avid traveler, please do not moan like a cow and make a point to visit Prague in your travel plan.




" Old Town, old Royal Palace, old Gothic buildings and if you like oldies, stay in Old Prague hostel ! No regret for me after seeing Prague .

The Secret of Life - Open up your arms to change, but don't give up your values "

No comments:

Post a Comment