Friday, November 4, 2022

Singapore (Post Covid-19 Overseas Visit No 1- My 5 days Free & Easy Visit to Singapore) Day 4 Nov 1 2022

Merlion, Singapore

Day 4 Tuesday Nov 1 2022  - focusing my early morning visit to Gardens by The Bay, meet up with my Singapore travel buddy, Mr Lam followed by a 4 hour walking tour from Merlion Park to the Chinatown area, intermittent stops along the way for my wife to rest her feet, a long day but we had good company as we walk & walk, chat & chat, using our six sense to get a feel of this modern, progressive, high tech & advanced country called Singapore, a close proximity to my home country, Malaysia ....

1) My Morning breakfast in Geylang 

Fried Mihoon & Noodle S$1.50
Fish Fillet Porridge S$5

2) Ajuunied MRT > Bugis MRT (transit) > Bayfront MRT - my early morning MRT train ride (07.15) from my hotel to Gardens by the Bay (08.00 > 10.00) prior to a meet up with my Singapore travel buddy, Mr Lam; a cloudy day, my 3rd visit ! 

Victory Sign. My wife's 2nd visit
Dragon Fly Lake
Marina Bay Sand Hotel 

3) Bayfront MRT > Raffles Place MRT - train ride (09.30) & meet up with my travel buddy, Mr Lam in Merlion Park at 11.00. 

4) Raffles Place - a financial hub of Singapore, the start of my leisure walk towards Merlion Park, as soon as my wife stepped out of the MRT station, I heard her uttering "Wow" & I knew she had fallen in love with this place (her last visit to Raffles Place was probably 20 years ago), so together we spent a bit of our time admiring the surrounding especially the magnificent high-rise buildings but the best is yet to come ...... 


5) The Fullerton Waterboat House - a historic water supply house used to supply fresh water to incoming ships in Singapore


6) Cavenagh Bridge - completed in 1869, oldest & only iron cable-stayed bridge in Singapore, named after Sir William O Cavenagh, the last Governor of the Straits Settlement under the government of British India (1859-1867), constructed by P & W MacLellan in Glasgow, it was shipped to Singapore & assembled by the banks of the Singapore River, by the early 20th century Anderson Bridge was built to ease the increasing traffic load at Cavenagh Bridge. 


7) The River Merchants - a nice spot for photography !


8) Singapore River - the mouth of Singapore River used to be the Old Port of Singapore, it was the centre of trade, finance & commerce, the river flows parallel to Alexandra Road & feeds into the Marina Reservoir in the southern part of Singapore. 


9) Anderson Bridge - opened in 1910, a pedestrian bridge that spans across the Singapore River, located near the river's mouth in the Downtown Core Planning Area of Singapore's Central Area. 


10) Elgin Bridge - completed in 1929, a vehicular box girder bridge across the Singapore River, linking the Downtown Core to the Singapore River Planning Area located within Singapore's Central Area. 


11) The Foundation Stone of The Monument in tribute to the early founders of Singapore 


12) Heritage Tree, Merlion Park, Singapore 


13) Merlion Park, 1, Fullerton Rd, Singapore - meet up with my travel buddy, Mr Lam followed by a walking tour from the Merlion Park > Chinatown. The Merlion statute (70-ton) has stood as a symbol of Singapore as well as the icon of welcome to visitors since 1972, it was formally unveiled at this new vintage point on 15 Sept 2002 (20 years ago) by Senior Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew. I am glad to be here with my wife & my Singapore travel buddy making this visit a most memorable one ! 

Singapore Welcome You ! 

My Good Old Days - a memorable picture taken at Merlion Park in Feb 2016 (accompanied by my brother's Hong's family members); wearing the same T-shirt, standing at the same spot but I was 6 years younger ! 


14) The Fullerton Hotel (formerly the General Post Office of Singapore, completed in 1928), 1 Fullerton Square, Singapore (near the mouth of Singapore River), one of the most important landmarks in the Civil District - thanks to Lam who walked us around the interior of this iconic building now a premier 5 star luxury hotel in Singapore ! A very impressive historic building indeed. In Feb 2016, together with my brother Hong's family, I visited the Raffles Hotel (built in 1887) - another historic & iconic building in Singapore !  


15) My Good Old Days free & easy travelling with my Singapore travel buddy, Mr Lam in Malaysia (2018 & 2019), Thailand (2018) & India (2018 & 2019) prior to the Covid-19 years ! Lam put in great efforts in planning the 2018 & 2019 month long free & easy visit for our two India trips which I enjoyed very much ! 

Ajanta Caves, India (Sept 2019)
Taman Negara, Pahang
Malaysia (Aug 2019)
Cameron Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia (July 2019)
India Gate, New Delhi (Nov 2018)
Koh Chang Island, Thailand (Aug 2018)
Sungei Lima, Port Klang, Selangor
Malaysia (May 2018)

16) Victoria Concert Hall (1855-1902), 11, Empress Place, Singapore  


17) A monument erected by the European, Chinese & native inhabitants of Singapore to commemorate the visit in Feb 1850 the most noble The Marquis of Dlahousie, K.T., Governor General of British India.  


18) Asian Civilisation Museum, 1, Empress Place, Singapore


19) The Art House At The Parliament


20) Statute of Sir Stamford Raffles, North Bank, Singapore


21) Supreme Court, 1, Supreme Court Place Ln, Singapore 


22) Parliament House, 1, Parliament Place, Singapore


23) Boat Quay - a historical quay in Singapore, situated upstream from the mouth of the Singapore River on this southern bank, it spans from the shophouses near UOB Centre stretching along one bank of the Singapore River all the way till Elgin Bridge. 


24) River walk from Boat Quay led by my travel buddy, Lam > Chinatown, Singapore


25) Hong Lim Park & Speaker's Corner, New Bridge Road, Singapore - put on your smart coat suit & stand up like a penguin (chest upfront) at the Speaker's Corner if you have an interesting socio-economic topic to speak to the audience (hopefully a full house crowd) ! Hong Lim Park was my favourite place to loiter my time during my teenage years (1960s) as my Singapore cousin brothers & sisters (7 of them) all stayed near this area ! A down the memory lane visit for me !


26) Park Royal Collection, 3, Upper Pickering, Singapore - opposite the Hong Lim Park, located besides Chinatown MRT station, unique hotel architecture & beautiful greenery !  


27) Furama City Centre Hotel, Eu Tong Seng Street, Chinatown, Singapore - a very popular tourist hotel for Malaysian visitors during the 1980s. 


28) Hong Lim Complex, Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, New Bridge Road, Singapore 


28) Makan Makan (Eating) - lunch & chat time with my travel buddy in Hong Lin Food Centre, New Bridge Road, Singapore, each of us savoured a bowl of noodle soup (fish fillets, curry laksa, lor mee) + curry puffs + hot coffee (a treat from my travel buddy, Lam) 


29) After the lunch, our group continued the walking tour along Shenton Way to South Bridge Road, Chinatown, Singapore


30) Chinatown Street Market (Chinatown Heritage Centre) 


31) Chinatown Complex & Kreta Ayer Square, 335, Smith Street, Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment