Saturday, May 15, 2021

Malaysia (My Pre-Covid-19 Reminisce My Good Old Days - The Palace & I ) May 2021 Part 1


" The adventure of LIFE is to learn " 

This 1956 American musical film " The King & I " is based on the novel " Anna & the King of Siam " won 5 Oscars including Best Actor for Yul Brynner ! 

I was in my primary school years then & had watched this movie in a local theatre in my hometown, Pontian Kechil, Johor, Malaysia (my birth place). It will be nice to watch this movie once again - the magnificent Royal Palace of Bangkok (Thailand), the musical theme & songs, the story of the King & an English school teacher, the charming Royal Siamese children, all these made this movie the best seller .... 

After my retirement in 2006 (aged 56), I became passionate & wanted to learn about travelling. I had this special feeling that I wanted to know all about the world & also hope that the world likes me too ! So I asked myself nicely, if traveling is indeed your cup of tea, why not ! In the initial years, I started to learn about travelling my way, either solo or with my travel buddies. After a few rounds of travelling, I begin to feel free & easy, travelling free & easy to countries I yearn to see ! Today despite the Covid-19 pandemic & Movement Control Order (MCO 3.0), I have noticed, suddenly like this movie " The King & I ", I am bright & breezy because I am about to post a number of the pictures of the beautiful palaces I visited in my world of traveling thus far during my Good Old Covid-19 Free Days (2006 > 2019). Not everybody can be a King (a pipe dream for many of us but no harm keep dreaming), but every travellers have the opportunities to visit some of the world's famous palaces .... paying a few Dollars or Euros or more for world class palaces for entry or even free ! The architectural design of these palaces be it ancient & modern, reflect the eras during the Roman Empire, Ottomans, China's Ming & Qing dynasties, Russian Tsars, Persian etc. Leaving my footsteps in some of the most beautiful & magnificent palaces (a number of them I visited are UNESCO World Heritage sites) have given me profound memories, keep lingering in my mind perhaps for many years to come ! 

Needless to say, many of the travellers are now grounded at home due to the Covid-19 pandemic living a New Normal life & pinning our hope that our lives can return to Normal (face mask off) soon !  

After the post Covid-19 when borders are opened & everybody can fly, let's ask one another " Shall we dance " or "Shall we travel ", I believe either one will make our days ahead bright & breezy ! 

Here goes my Arabic stories of " The Palace & I " .... 

" Grand & Elegant, Royal & Stylish, Imperial, Presidential, Ancient, Summer / Winter Palaces, Palace Museums - grand & great memories " - behind every travel, pictures of my Good Old Days visits to palaces ....

1) Malaysia - Old Istana Negara (former National Palace), Jalan Istana, Kuala Lumpur now converted into a Royal Museum (March 2021)  - former residence of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong (Supreme King of Malaysia), originally a double storey mansion called The Big House built in 1928 by a Chinese millionaire (Chan Wing),  extensive upgrading in 1980's, occupied a 13-acre site located on the hill slope of Bukit Petaling overlooking the Klang River, the old palace was replaced by a new National Palace as the official residence of the King in 2011 & in 2013, it was converted into The Royal Museum now known as Old Istana Negara; I have KIV a visit to the Royal Museum in the near future ! 

2) Malaysia - The Istana Negara (National Palace), Jalan Tuanku Halim, Segambut, Kuala Lumpur -  opened in 2011 replacing the old Istana Negara, the palace complex has an area of 98 hectares, 22 domes & is spilt into 3 main portions ie the Formal Component, Royal Component & Administration Component; yet to visit this new palace but will KIV this visit (external viewing only) in the near future (visited on Oct 16 2021)

3) Thailand - The Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand (Aug 2018 & 2003)the most famous landmark in Bangkok, the palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam (now called Thailand) since 1782; visited the external compounds only (my latest visit was in Aug 2013) as 3 of my travel buddies wore shorts hence prohibited from entering ! I will KIV (keep in view) this magnificent place in my next visit to Bangkok. To-date, I had made 13 overland visits (mainly by trains) from Kuala Lumpur to Thailand & 1 package tour by air to Bangkok & Pattaya ! 


Thailand - The Grand Palace, Bangkok, (2003) -  a weekend visit together with my colleagues during an working trip to Bangkok in 2003, fulfilling my childhood dream of seeing the Grand Palace, a beautiful day indeed !  


4) Cambodia - The Royal Palace & The Silver Pagoda, Phenom Penh (Feb 2018 & Jan 2014) - the royal residence of the King of Cambodia, originally built between 1866 & 1870 in Oudong but was relocated to Phenom Penh & rebuilt in the late 1960s, the palace has undergone major modifications in recent years, all of the King Norodom era buildings have been demolished !

My 1st visit to the Royal Palace in Jan 2014 with my travel & qigong buddy, Mr Choy of USJ, Subang Jaya  


My 2nd visit to Cambodia in Feb 2018 with my Klang travel buddies & re-visited the Royal Palace, a brand new look & new exhibits ! 


5) Laos - Presidential Palace, Vientiane, Laos (my 2nd visit with my Klang travel buddies to Laos in Feb 2017) - built in 1973, the official residence of the President of Laos, this elegant Palais Presidential is also known as Golden Palace, located on the banks of the Mekong River in the capital city, Vientiane

My 1st visit in Feb 2017 with my Klang travel buddies


6) Laos - Palace Museum, Luang Prabang, Laos (my solo visit to Laos in Jan 2011 & with my Klang travel buddies in Feb 2017) - built in 1904 during the French colonial era, no photography allowed inside, shoes off upon entering, on display were artifacts, wooden handicrafts, gifts & treasures, national art, royal portraits, objects made of elephant tusks etc , a new high speed train project linking Kunming, China to Laos & Thailand is now being built, hopefully tourists are able to enjoy a comfortable train ride when it is operational by early 2022 ! 

My 1st solo visit to Palace Museum, Luang Prabang, Laos in Jan 2011 


My 2nd visit to Palace Museum, Luang Prabang in Feb 2017 with my Klang travel buddies


7) Brunei - The Istana Nurul Iman (The Light of Faith Palace - Aug 2016 solo visit) - the official residence of the Sultan of Brunei, located on the banks of the Brunei River, a few kilometers from the capital city, the world's largest residential palace (1,800 rooms, 110 car garage), completed in 1984; due to high fencing, I was not able to take a nice picture of this magnificent palace from the front gate - so near yet so far ! 


8) Japan - The Tokyo Imperial Palace (My 1st visit with Hospitality Club members to Japan in  May 2008) - the main residence of the Emperor of Japan, built on the site of old Edo Castle, occupies a large park area in the Chiyoda district, contains several buildings ie the main palace, residences of the Imperial family, an archive, museums & administrative office, the official residence of the Emperor & Empress is located in Fukiage Garden was completed in 1993; To-date, I had done 4 visits to Japan of which 2 were free & easy trips and 2 were package tours. 


Japan - The Tokyo Imperial Palace (my 2nd visit with my wife & brother in law + wife to Japan in April 2010) 


9) Japan - Nijo Castle Ninomaru Palace (UNESCO), Kyoto (my 2nd visit with my wife & brother in law + wife to Japan in April 2010) - ornate palace & residence for the Tokugawa shoguns, with screen paintings & traditional gardens, no photography inside the palace museum so just view & admire the exhibits on display, cherry (Sakura) blossom time in Spring, gardens looked the most beautiful during this time !



Japan - Nojo Castle Ninomaru Palace (UNESCO), Kyoto (my 1st visit with Hospitality Club members to Japan in May 2008) 







10) South Korea - Gyeongbokgung Palace (package tour with my wife to South Korea in Dec 2012) - the 1st & largest of the royal palaces built during the Joseon Dynasty, built in 1395, the palace was located at the heart of the capital, Seoul, my first winter experience in an Asian country & my first & only visit to South Korea ! 


11) Vietnam - Independence Palace, Ho Chi Minh City (my visit with my USJ travel buddy, Choy to South & Central Vietnam in Jan 2014) - also publicly known as Reunification Convention Hall, built on the site of former Norodom Palace, a popular landmark in Ho Chi Minh City, it was the home & workplace of the President of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War



12) Vietnam - Imperial Citadel (UNESCO), Hue (my visit with my USJ travel buddy, Choy to South & Central Vietnam in Jan 2014) - built in 1362a walled enclosure within the citadel of the city of Hue, the former imperial capital of Vietnam, this 19th century Dai Noi Citadel surrounded by a moat & thick stone walls encompasses the Imperial City with palaces & shrines, the Forbidden Purple City, once the emperor's home & a replica of the Royal Theater 


13) Nepal - Nerayanhity Palace Museum (my first solo visit to Nepal in March 2013) - a public museum in Kathmandu, located east of the Kaiser Mahal & next to Thamel, the museum was created in 2008 from the complex of the former Naraynhiti Palace following the 2006 revolution 


14) India - Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, Colaba, Mumbai (my 1st visit to Mumbai with my travel buddy from Singapore in Sept 2019) - a heritage, 5 star luxury hotel built in the Saracenic Revival style in the Colaba area of Mumbai, Maharashtra, located next to the Gateway of India; though this building is not a palace but I admired the architectural design & her beauty as seen in the day & night ! An elegant looking 5 star hotel comparable to that of a modern day palace


15) India  - Tsuklakhang Palace, Gantok, Sikkim (my visit with my Singapore travel buddy to India in Sept 2019) - also known as Tsuklakhang Royal Chapel & Monastery is a Buddhist palatial monastery in Gangtok, Sikkim, built in 1898 for the Royal family of Sikkim



16) Iran - Ali Qapu Palace, Isfahan (my solo visit to Iran in March 2018) - built for Shah Abbas, completed in the 16th century, has a music room & a verandah overlooking the Isfahan Square's fountains


17) Iran - Golestan Palace, Teheran (my solo visit to Iran in March 2018) - the former Royal Qajar Complex in the capital city of Tehran, the palace belongs to a group of royal buildings that were once enclosed within the mud-thatched walls of Tehran's citadel, it consists of gardens, royal buildings & collection of Iranian crafts & European presents from the 18th & 19th centuries, today is my last day of my stay in Tehran before heading to the airport in the late afternoon, so my visit to this palace was a brief one !



18) Oman - Al Alam Palace, Muscat (my solo visit to Oman & UAE in Jan 2018) - located in old Muscat, has a history of 200 years, surrounded by the Mirani & Jalali Forts built in the 16th century by the Portuguese, used as a ceremonial palace by Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said


19) United Arab Emirates (UAE) - Emirates Palace Hotel, Abu Dhabi (my solo visit to UAE & Oman in Jan 2018) - located on the shores of Arabian Gulf, the Emirates Palace hotel is the 3rd most expensive hotel in the world to build (owned by the government of Abu Dhabi), cost approx US$3.0 billion to construct, the lobbies & exhibitions (free access) were so beautiful & breathtaking & it was as though I strike gold as soon as I step into the hotel front lobby ... really a class of its own ! 


20) Sri Lanka - Sigiriya, Matale District (my solo visit to Sri Lanka in Jan 2012) - famous for its palace ruins on top of a massive 200m high rock surrounded by remains of an extensive gardens, reservoirs etc, also renown for its ancient paintings, the complex surrounding the famous rock was built by King Kasyapa (477-495 CE) who seized power from Moggallana, the rightful heir, Kasyapa was defeated in 495CE by Moggallana & moved the capital to Anuradhapura, Sigiriya was converted into a Buddhist monastery, which last until 13th or 14th century, very challenging to walk up the spiral steel staircase / platform to the hill top ! 


21) India - Ancient Leh Palace, Ladakh (my free & easy visit with Hospitality Club members to Northern India in July 2007) - a former palace overlooking the Leh town, Ladakh in the Indian Himalayas, constructed in circa 1600 by Sengge Namgyal, the palace was abandoned when Dogra forces took control of Ladakh in the mid 19th century & forced the royal family to Stok Palace; Leh town is 3,500m above sea level, so a major challenge for my 3 nights stay here experiencing a sign of high altitude sickness on my 1st day arrival ! 


22) Slovakia - Presidential Palace, Bratislava (my solo visit to Europe in May 2010) - the Grassalkovich Palace is the residence of Slovakia located on Hodzovo namestie near the Summer Archbishop's Palace, the building is a Rococo-late Baroque summer palace with a French garden 

23) Norway - Royal Palace, Oslo (my solo visit to Scandinavian countries in May 2011) - built in the 1st half of the 18th century as the Norwegian residence of the French-born King Charles 111 John of Norway, who reign as King of Norway & Sweden



24) Finland  - Presidential Palace, Helsinki (my solo visit to Scandinavian countries in May 2011) - the Presidential Palace is one of the 3 official residences of the President of the Republic of Finland, located in Helsinki, on the north side of Esplanade, overlooking Market Square


No comments:

Post a Comment