|Dhakeshwari Temple in Old Dhaka (built in the 12th century). Dhakeshwari means "Goddess of Dhaka"|
|This must-see Lalbagh Fort, a 17th century Mughal Fort stands before the Buriganga River in Dhaka|
|Ashan Manzil- most beautiful Pink Palace built in 1836 in Old Dhaka|
Day 1 (Wednesday 13 Dec 2017)
Air Asia flight landed at Hazrat Shahjalal International Dhaka Airport after mid-night. Hazy but a cool weather at 17c greeted the arrivals !
Boarding an airport bus from the tarmac to Terminal 2 arrival hall - 5 to 10 minutes wait ! What if there is a drizzle or rain on that night so bring along a small umbrella with you if you are traveling during the wet season !
Day 2 - Thursday 14th Dec 2017
Free hotel buffet breakfasts at Hotel 71, 19th floor - our first taste of Bengali food !
Lunch at a local restaurant opposite the Lalbagh Fort - 660 taka(Rm34) for a plate of fried rice & stir fried mixed vegetables for 2
Dinner at a local restaurant near Hotel 71 - 466 taka(Rm24) for a plate of fried noodles & round bread plus a bottle of mineral water for 2
Good morning to Old Dhaka City as viewed from the 19th Floor dining room; misty or hazy in the early morning most of the times !
Our fun ride on a rickshaw (09.00>17.00) passing through the maze of narrow laneways, markets, petty traders, bazars, shops, main roads of old Dhaka giving us the opportunities of seeing the daily life of locals in a heavily populated city of 18 millions ! Traffic here is chaotic, noisy, dusty so be prepared to endure a rough & bumpy ride ! Dhaka currently has 700,000 rickshaws on the roads, an economical and efficient form of public transport for the local people ! Go for it if you are in Dhaka !
1) Rickshaw tour - University of Dhaka & Curzon Hall (1904)
2) Rickshaw tour - Central Shaheed Minar, a symbol of Bengali nationalism
3) Rickshaw tour - Memory Eternal for the liberation of War Martyrs of the University of Dhaka
5) Rickshaw tour - Bangladesh National Museum, Dhaka
6) Rickshaw tour - Dhakeshwari Jatiya Mandiri (Dhakeshwari Temple), national temple of Bangladesh, built in the 12th century, tipping 50taka
7) Rickshaw tour - Lalbagh Fort, Old Dhaka, built in 1678 by Prince Mohammad Azam, son of Moghul emperor Aurangazeb
8) Rickshaw tour - Darul Quran Library, Old Dhaka
9) Rickshaw tour - Sitara Mosque (Star Mosque), built in the early 18th century
10) Rickshaw tour - Armenian Church of the Holy Resurrection, Old Dhaka, built in 1781 by Armenian missionaries, tipping 100 Taka
11) Rickshaw tour - Sham Bazar Fruit wholesale market
15) Sham Bazar - Old Dhaka
16) Rickshaw tour - Kamalapur Railway Station