Sunday, June 5, 2011

Europe (Warsaw, Poland) April/May 2011

Date: 29-30/4/2011
Eurolines Bus Pass: London - Warsaw
(13.00 - 16.45 + 1 day = 17 hrs);
Hostel: Hostel Tamka - PLN32 (Euro$8.40 dorm)
Food: own prepared meals
Trams: E$3.70
Total expenses incurred in Poland: E$28.55


I had visited Krakow, Poland twice but not Warsaw. For this trip, I made a point to visit Warsaw, Vilnius of Lithuania & Tallinn of Estonia. From Tallinn, I could then take a ferry to Helsinki, Finland to begin my visit to Scandinavian countries.

After a 17 hr bus trip from London, I arrived in Warsaw central bus terminal in the late afternoon. I had to take two tram lines to check into my hostel. In the evening, I took a stroll to the Victory Square, about 40 mins walk from the hostel.

I spent the next day visiting the city center, the Palace of the Culture & Science and surrounding places. Due to time constraints, I was not able to visit the Old Town, Royal Castle Square & Barbican Gate etc.

80% of Warsaw's buildings were destroyed during the World War Two and most of the present buildings (including the Old Town, a UNESCO site) were re-constructed after the war.

Warsaw, Poland




" A sad story for Warsaw during the WWII (1940's); Nazi Germany & Soviet Union invasion; Polish uprising; 987 historical important buildings (85%) destroyed and only 64 left untouched; the rebuilt of historical Old Town after the war; fall of communism in 1989 and a new economic boom for Warsaw ! Not to miss visiting the Auschwiz Concentration camp in Krakow, a world Heritage site in Poland

The Secrets of life: Change what you can and accept what you can't "




No comments:

Post a Comment