Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Europe (Rome & Vatican City), Italy April/June 2010 D24-D26


My 30 day Eurolines bus pass is due to expire on 29th May. So Rome was my last city of visit in Europe before heading back to London for my flight back to Malaysia on 3rd June 2010. I had to skip my visits to Venice, Pisa & Munich due to the time constraints.

The overnight bus from Vienna, Austria arrived in Rome in the early morning. From the Eurolines bus terminal at Piazza Tiburtina, I took a Metro (Euro$1) to Roma Termini. Originally, I planned to stay in Rome for 4 nights but due to a tight Eurolines timetable, I had to cut short my stay to 2 days. If I did not make full use of the Eurolines bus pass from Rome to London, a one way bus ticket covering this journey was Euro$80 - not cheap at all.


I stayed in Hostel Beautiful (Euro$12.50 dorm ) which was located within walking distance from Roma Termini. Using a city map provided by the hostel, I bought 2 Metro day tickets (Euro$4 per day) and visited most of the tourist sites in Rome. It was quite a challenge taking the Metro bus as the underground trains were packed most of the time. I had to keep a tight watch on my day pack, wallet & camera at all times

Expenses incurred in Rome, Italy (3days) :
Hostel (2 x Euro$24.50) - Euro$49
Entrance fee (Colosseum) - Euro$12
Metro - Euro$9
Food & groceries - Euro$10
Total expenses = Euro$80
Travel Highlights:
1) Vatican City & St Peter's Square - An independent state, the Vatican has its own postal service, currency, newspaper, radio station and army of Swiss Guards. The Pope had been living in the Vatican for 1,000 years. St Peter's Basilica is the biggest, richest and most spectacular church in Italy - expect a long queue to enter the church



2) Colosseum - the 50,000 seater stadium, an ancient arena of Rome was built in AD72. A Great Wonder of the World - my dream had been fulfilled after seeing it.



3) Roman Forum & Palatine Hill - the oldest part of the city of Rome



4) Capitoline Hill (one of the seven hills of Rome) , Capitoline Museum, Monuments to Emenuele 11, The Renaissance Piazza Decampidoglio


5) The Column of Trajan


6) Trevi Fountain - built in 1732, the central figure is Neptune, god of the sea, if you throw a coin over your shoulder with your back to the fountain, you will return to Rome ... I shall return in 2011 !!!



7) Piazza Navona





8) Castel Saint Angelo & Bridge of Angels - The Castel was formerly a mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian (123 BC) and his family, now a museum of sculptures, paintings, weapons & furniture






9) Ponte Vittoro Emanuele 11 & the iconic dome of St Peter Basilica dominates the skyline of Rome


10) Piazza del Popolo - the oval shaped square was built in the 16th century; twin churches & the Egyptian obelisk


11) Piazza Di Spagna & Spanish Steps - built in 1725 by French but named after the Spanish embassy to the Holy See



12) Pantheon - a 2,000 year old temple, now church, free admission



13) Piazza della Repubblica


" When in Rome, do as the Romans do !!! Rome has so much to offer to tourists so there are plenty to do when you are in Rome even for a short stay. Italian pizza, Campo Santa Margherita drink, classical music & opera, Italian Renaissance art, designer's labels and what else ? Find out for yourself when in Rome .....

Do not forget to throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain, the legend has it that you will return to Rome again and again ..... I love Roma, Roma love you too !


Rome was the last European city I visited for this trip. I hope to make another trip to Europe in 2011 and the countries I have in mind are Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia and Lithuania and cities I missed in this trip eg Warsaw, Vilnius, Pisa & Venice.

The Secret of Life : Envy is a waste of time, you already have all your needs "

No comments:

Post a Comment